Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UT on my G200 stutters BADLY

Hmmm...

D3D mode, P2-400MHz, 256 MB RAM, 56K modem connected @ 54K, ping times in low 200s, 640x480, 16 bit, everything turned to _low_. 5.25 PD. It's even worse in OpenGL.

It's pretty much playable when playing against bots. Don't know what the "fph" stands for in multiplay- I have 11-15 while other players get up in the low 100s.

Gotta be something wrong somewhere- the G200 can't be that bad. Anyone have any ideas?

How many servers did you try?

I havent seen any issues with UT on my setup. (g200/V2) The network code is really fast, if the server was active and everyone was hauling ass through the server (they have a PLUGIN that speeds you up) It may be going too fast for your framerates, therefore resulting in a choppy game. Try a LONE server, or create your own, run through the map-, and allow the g200 to "remember" everything- the longer you play the level the faster it will get. I promise.

------------------
    a digital display of evolution (G200 with aid of Diamond Monster 3D II)
    a digital display of evolution
    (G200 with aid of Diamond Monster 3D II-SLI)

Comment

well i don't know nuthin from nuthin, but i did see that ut requires dx7.0
      p2 266@300 (4x75mhz) | qdi legend-v, lx chipset, bios 2.0sl | 96 mb pc100 | mill g200agp@99mhz 8mb sg, bios 2.6, pd 5.52 | win 98se

Comment

Yup, I installed DirectX 7 a few days ago.

Any other G200 owners have awful performance w/ the demo?

Comment

me me me me
          its not that the framerate is slow the whole game is
          moving the mouse on the menu for example..
          it exhibits the same amount of stutter
          as the game...
          it happens occasionaly in other games too
          though no names spring to mind right now
          lol
          Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

I have a G200 and I don't get poor performace. I get no performace at all. So far every time I've tried to play it's crashed on me. I've tried both D3d and OGL. I've got my cpu oc'd so I'm going to try setting it back to default tonight and see if that stabalizes it. (When it did run though it seemed to be all right, it just crashed after about 2 minutes.)

HedsSpaz
            Primary System:
            MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
            120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
            Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
            Seccondary System:
            Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
            3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
            Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
            Tertiary system
            Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
            Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Thats why a G200 is 40 bucks nowdays. I hear UT sucks on a Viper330 and also ATI Ragepro sucks...get the picture?
              Its not like epic went out of there way to make sure that their game runs on old technology. I am not busting you guys because you have not upgraded, but this is going to happen to all G200 users with all the new games that are comming out. Not enough horsepower....

Comment

Half Life w/ everything turned on is playable. UT w/ everything turned off (except the game of course) is not playable.

I've definitely got something wrong w/ my setup. It's not just G200 slowness.

[This message has been edited by LrngToFly (edited 10-04-1999).]

Comment

"Not enough horsepower?" Excusez moi! Sure, the G200 is not state of the art anymore. But I will not accept the fact that UT runs faster in SOFTWARE MODE than with a 3D accelerator.

As far as I got the picture, Direct3D is there to provide a programmers interface to address ANY Direct3D supporting board. If it's Direct3D, but just for specific cards, we are back in the days where graphic adapter code has been coded directly into the game code. And then we're better off using DOS again.

There must be something very wrong somewhere...

Comment

Well, sometimes UT stutters a little with my G200, but my problem is the multitexturing doesn't work! The lighting is sucks compared with my *Voodoo 1* board. It looks like using vertex lighting. And why can't I running it in OGL mode? I'm using the UT demo patch to upgrade from the 3dfx demo, and using PD5.25. Actually, sometimes the lighting comes out for a while (flashing)...
                    Any remedy for this?

Comment

Excusez moi! heheh But I'm Right right?

There is no OpenGL in the UT Demo. They did'nt code it.

Comment

The D3D supported version of UT dissapointed me greatly. I experienced the same "mouse lag" over the GUI, and sometimes get the same thing with TRIBES.

I noticed that the New version was alot slower, and was pretty hefty for 1 new map, and an alternate API. Before I downloaded the patch I was getting 60+fps, now Im averaging about 51 fps using GLide. The D3d support on mine was not to good as well... The graphics lagged a bit, and my fps were at 20, and the lighting (which is what makes the game so pretty) was shit. If no one has seen a pic of what it looks like In Glide. I will post one. But try using the Glide wrapper to get around any "visual problems"

regarding the OpenGL support... Mine doesnt give me that option.

------------------

Comment

HedsSpaz,
                          if you have recently overclocked and found that Unreal / UT is crashing then it is from overclocking. You will see this in the Unreal readme. I can confirm this for you from experience and many websites will say that this ultimately powerful game engine is not tolerant with much overclocking.
                          I can run every game stable at 560Mhz (5x112) except Unreal / UT. At 515Mhz (5x103)it crashes. At 500 (5x100) its stable.
                          This was exactly the same when I had my c300a@558 (4.5x124). Every game stable except, you guessed it Unreal/UT. At 527Mhz (4.5x117) - unstable. But at 504 (4.5x112) it became stable.
                          Frank.

Comment

A couple of days ago I noticed that 32 bit z buffer was on. I turned it off and UT acted a bit differently: When I first play on a server, the fps are decent enough to make it playable. However, 45-60 seconds into the game, the fps noticably decrease until the game is unplayable. (I quit when it gets to about 1 fps.) Very odd. The same problem occurs when playing against bots, but it takes a while longer for the bug to show.

This behavior sure sounds as if there's a memory leak.

[This message has been edited by LrngToFly (edited 10-04-1999).]

Comment

BTW, here's my other hardware:

Creative Labs PCI64 (hmm, wonder if I should try turning off EAX)

NetGear 100 Mb/s ethernet card

SCSI CD-RW w/ DirectCD (have heard others claim this may cause the problem, I need to try to disable it to see if that is correct. That would be an odd cause though.

Comment

Working...
                              X