Makers of Nocturne Slam GeForce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makers of Nocturne Slam GeForce

Hello there, I see that this guys tried to make up for this statement on Bluesnews, but I'm choosing to make first impressions VERY important

"Nocturne Chat Log [Blue-6:59 AM EDT]
    There's a Nocturne Developer Chat log on The Adrenaline Vault with an edited recounting of the chat session last night with the developers of Nocturne, the upcoming third-person horror game from Terminal Reality and Gathering of Developers. Here's a little excerpt right off the top with iffy word on a Mac port, and a little dis for the GeForce256's T&L processing:

Question: Is a Mac version of Nocturne still planned and if so, when do you expect to release it?

Nocturne Team: If someone will port it. The costs are prohibitive.

Question: Well, one of the most asked questions lately, will nocturne support T&L?

Nocturne Team: GeForce doesn't have adequate fill rate for T&L. T&L was just a gimmick"

------------------
    "Who could have fragged you without even hearing him, that would be me!!!"

-Me
    "Who could have fragged you without even hearing him, that would be me!!!"

-Me

Ouch!
    Abit BH6
    Celeron 450
    Matrox G400 32mb "MAX"
    256MB PC100 RAM
    IBM 10GB 7200rpm HDD
    Creative Labs DVD 5x
    Mitsumi 4x/2x/8x CD-RW
    Monster Sound MX300
    USR 56K Modem
    ADi 6P (19" Monitor)
    Windows ME

Comment

Maybe the DDR version might improve things.

Comment

DDR will probably improve the situation somewhat, although still not enough to justify the T&L on-card, IMHO. I give nVidia credit for getting the first T&L capable accelerator on the market, they just really needed to back up that very capable (at least according to specs, but who can say for sure) T&L engine with a great back end, then they'd have a killer. They may regret that, depending on the other next gen cards hitting the market at around the same time.

------------------
        Ace
        "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
        Gainward Ti4600
        AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Most of the major hardware reviews I have read concerning the GeForce 256 say pretty much the same thing: wait for the DDR version if you already have an Ultra TNT2 or similiar card and you have to absolutely be on the cutting edge. Otherwise wait for the card after that.

I found Tom's Hardware to have the most interesting review of the GeForce 256 when they plopped it onto the new Cryotech 900 mhz Athalon machine. The GeForce 256 T&L plateued out at 70 FPS on the Zoological Gardens demo no matter how fast a machine you had. OUCH!

Jerrohd

Comment

nVidia seem to push them doggies out evey six months or so. That means they will have probably updated their gspot to the second revision (presumably with a higher fill rate) about the time 3dfx and S3(?) come out with their next gen early next year.

Comment

I dont think it matters, nothing supports it now anyways.
              Ive seen a GeForce DDR a work. It was in a a system with a pII 400 and it was smoking the two vIII 3500's and my G400 MAX system. We all had faster system, but the GeForce flys.
              Im talking 100+ fps Quake III in 1280....

Its kinda scary.

Comment

100+ fps at 1280? Nope.

Oh and that was on a PIII 600. Sorry but that 100fps+ in Q3 1280 with a PII 400 just made me laugh. You surely have the requirements to work at Nvidia´s marketing department

Oh, just the links to check it by yourself:
                http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...dr/default.asp

and why not
                http://www5.tomshardware.com/graphic...eforce-07.html (sorry for this one)

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 23 October 1999).]

Comment

Working...
                X