No announcement yet.

Anyone remember Archon and Archon II?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone remember Archon and Archon II?!

I have this huge craving for this game. I never had the chance to truly enjoy Archon II, as it was my friends Apple computer and he lived far away (took a looongg time to cycle there, not to mention energy on a once young JamesA!).

Had the Archon for my oooooooold IBM PC (Intel 8088 chip) and had a blast every weekend playing head-to-head with my friends. Love it when my sword-wielding knight/pawn kills a precious shape-shifter!!

Never had sooo much fun till I had Super Street Fighter Turbo II on the SNES!

Now imagine this, Archon 3D!!!

First person perspective for the zoomed-in battles!! COOL!!!!

*sigh* Of course, a boy at heart can only dream......

------------------
    JamesA who BOLDs a LOT
    System Details

"Have you had any licorice lately?"

{Edit reason: NO HTML?!}

[This message has been edited by JamesA (edited 22 October 1999).]
    <b>JamesA</b>: Just a <b>Dumbass MURCer</b>

Archon was a great game, Archon II was pants (sorry to shatter your illusions). Anyway I played it a few months back on C64s (the Commodore 64 emulator). Haven't got it anymore but you can still get hold of it.

3D Archon would be cool, but those wonderful games companies would probably rather make another crappy Quake clone for our enjoyment

------------------
    Chris Blake

Epox MVP3G5, K6III450, 192Mb RAM, G400Max DH, SBLive! Value and whole load of other stuff
    Chris Blake

Comment

Wooo, good times. I had C64 and Amiga versions of Archon, but just C64 of ArchonII. Yeah, a 3d version would be sweeet!
      Games Box
      --------------
      Windows 2000Pro, ASUS A7Pro, Duron 750@950, 192MB Micron PC133, OEM Radeon DDR, 15gb Quantum Fireball+ LM, Fujitsu 5.25gb, Pioneer 32x slot load CDROM, SB Live! Value, LinkSys LNE100, Altec Lansing ACS45.2, Samsung Syncmaster 955DF, Sycom 300va UPS

Video Box
      ------
      Windows 2000Pro, PIII700 on ASUS CUBX, 256mb Micron PC133, Vanilla G400/32 (PD5.14), Hauppage WinTV-DBX, LinkSys LNE100, 8.4gb Maxtor HD, 40gb 7200 Western Digital, Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer 32x SCSI Slot load CDROM, Pioneer 10x Slot load DVD, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Panasonic Panasync S70

Feline Tech Support
      -------------
      Jinx the Grey Thundercat, Mischa (Shilsner?)(still MIA)

...currently working on the world's first C64 based parallel computing project

Comment

I know this is off topic in the forum but who the hell cares!

Imagine what else you can do with Archon 3d. The playboard no longer has to be a 2D board. Playing boards can be like 3d chess (think Star Trek) or flying creatures can fly right over earth bound creatures. Smoke and fog can obscure what moves a player is making (if you are on two seperate computers playing over internet or LAN). You could implement some of the elemental features that Archon II tried to use (but failed, IMHO).

Jerrohd (remembering his old C64...)

Comment

Jerrohd,

GREAT idea!

I just love the invisible creature which sucks the opponent's life force. And the juggernaut. oy, it was fun.

Who made the game anyway?

Perhaps we can petition for a revival of Archon?

DREAM HEADLINE:

Archon3D™ based on ID's Quake3 engine to be released X'mas 2000!!!!

------------------
          JamesA who BOLDs a LOT
          System Details

&quot;Have you had any licorice lately?&quot;

Comment

Archon3D™ - Chess Strategy DeathMatch Style!!

Imagine how each of the creatures would look like up close!!

Aliens vs. Predator? Think Manticore versus Knight!

------------------
            JamesA who BOLDs a LOT
            System Details

Comment

Boy, this topic has me brain storming.

Here are some more ideas.

When You move a playing piece onto a square to combat another playing piece you go into the mini deathmatch (like you did in the original) except the 3d deathmatch map you are playing in is determined by what kind of terrain square you are capturing.

Say for example: You move your flying griffin to attack an archer on an a square that is just an open grassy plain. The death match takes place on an open grassy plain death match map with some hills and a few trees. The griffin has a distinct advantage here since it can fly up in the sky and swoop down and attack the hapless archer who has no where to hide and snipe from.

Now let's look at this another way. You move the same griffin to attack the same archer on a square that is a castle (or some such structure). Your griffin must now get down on its four paws and root out that archer from an indoor structure. It only has limited flight in some of the bigger spaces in the indoor structure but the advantage is now the archers since he can run around faster and snipe at the big griffin who is not as agile on foot.

This opens up a new level of strategy to the game where you have to think about what playing pieces defend what terrain squares.

Here's another concept. Magical spells cast by a playing piece that is weak and slow on its own. Physically this playing piece is weak but instead of moving or attacking he (or she) has the option to cast spells on other playing pieces that affect their attributes.

For example: You have your wizard cast flight on your archer who promptly sprouts wings. Now he can attack that griffin on the grassy plain and not be at a disadvantage.

The original Archons 1 & 2 were put out by Electronic Arts. I forget what studio it was, though...

Comment

Jerohd,

I think you have a winner here.

I wonder which future game developer gonna take the challenge and actually write the thing. Very very ver good ideas Jerohd!!

------------------
                JamesA who BOLDs a LOT
                System Details

Comment

Archon is undoubtedly cool. It's also making a come-back for those of us who run *nix OS's. xArchon is awesome, and been getting better fast. They just added a sound engine, and the networking code is pretty cool. My roommate and I play every now and then.

-Wombat

------------------
                  K6-2/350@400, 503+ rev 1.2a, 128MB PC100 RAM, Millenium G200, RH6.1 w/ 2.2.12-20, Win98, and too many classes

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                  X