Haig - Please can you look at this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haig - Please can you look at this

Sorry to ask you directly but I posted this problem over a week ago and nobody was able to help.

I'm having trouble when trying to view my video clips in MSP5.2 (to set mark-in / mark-out points). The problem is that the video plays back at about half-speed (audio at normal speed though !). If I use the jog/shuttle dial the audio speeds up but the video carries on playing at the same slow speed.

Am I right in thinking this is using VfW? I have no problems when using Media Player so is it using a different codec or something? One thing that surprises me is that I can play a captured clip in MediaPlayer while previewing one in MSP at the same time which is why I suspect it could be using the wrong codec (is this possible?).

I was using the 4.51 / VT1.21 drivers but have also tried 5.21 / VT1.50 with exactly the same results. Everything else works fine.

Thanks.

Hi,

Could you please give me a list of HW being used and system specs?

Olliver

------------------
    All comments and statements are purely of my own opinion and in no way reflect on my employer.
    All comments and statements are purely of my own opinion and in no way reflect on my employer.

Comment

Hi Scott,

Ulead is using Active movie player just like the media player is (Assuming you have 6.x of media player).

The fact that you can play it back in media player and not preview properly in ulead is weird unless ulead isn't seeing active movie properly.

Have you added any new software or drivers recently?

If you have the live card, are you using liveware 2.1?

What happens if you delete the audio track. Does the video still slow down?

Also, in the preferences/associate tab, make sure you have set the "file type" to MS AVI.

Haig

Comment

System spec :-

Gigabyte BX mobo
        PII 300
        128 Mb RAM
        Quantum 8gb system drive
        IBM 14gxp 14.4gb dedicated video data drive
        AWE64 Sound Card
        Marvel G200
        + Scanner / Printer / Network Card / Modem
        Windows 98 + MSPro 5.2 VE

I've had no trouble with the sound card (sync) since switching to avi_io.

The video preview used to work properly some time ago. It may have stopped working after I added Windows 98 Service Pack 1 but I'm not sure.

When I play back in Media Player I can see the video on TV-Out but not when I preview in MSP. Is this correct?

I've not tried deleting the audio, can try this tonight. Will also check the file type in preferences / associate.

I have installed various versions of Media Player (betas etc) over the last year or so, is there a proper release version I should be using?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Have just downloaded Media Player 6.4
          Will install this tonight and report back tomorrow.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi Scott,

near the end of the day, Olliver managed to reproduce this problem on his system:

Dell PII
            On board Yamaha using latest yamaha drivers
            Marvel
            Current internal build
            Media Player 6.0 or 6.1, not sure.
            Promisa Fastrak
            DX 6.1

He will investigate this further tomorrow and one of us will keep you updated.

Haig

Comment

Scott,

As Haig said I reproduced it only what I was getting was the reverse of what you are getting. Tomorrow I will reinstall Ulead. Will keep you posted.
              Strange!!!

Olliver

------------------

Comment

I agree, very wierd.

I'm pretty sure I've already tried reinstalling MSP with no luck. Have also now installed Media Player 6.4 and checked settings in MSP. All looks OK though, file type = MS AVI and associated with mplayer2.exe.

It seems as though the video is running at about 0.8 x normal speed. I can in fact make it run slower (0.2 seems ok) and it goes backwards but it refuses to run any faster than 0.8 even if I whizz the dial right round to 10x.

Comment

Scott,

The fact that we were having similar problems in MS prompted me to investigate the issue in more depth. After asking advise from a few friends, and getting lots of good ideas, had me try various things though none of them with any degree of success.
                  So as a last resort, before reinstalling Windows and MS, I disabled my onboard Yamaha sound chip and installed the Awe64. I let Windows 98SE load the drivers for the card and all works fine now.
                  So, my suggestion from this point would be to;

A- uninstall all the drivers for your Awe64(remove the card from safemode / device manager)and let Windows detect and reinstall the drivers.

B- try another sound card to verify whether or not there is a problem with your card.

Good Luck!
                  Olliver

------------------

Comment

Hi Haig/Olliver,

Since you guys have access to a much broader range of drivers than the rest of us, could you add the PD/VT versions that Olliver was using.

I also noticed that you stated the card used as "Marvel". Shouldn't that read "G200 Marvel" in line with company naming standards (to avoid confusion) or is there something that you aren't telling us ?

Cheers

Chris
                    (This_Idiot)

Comment

Hi Chris,

Those drivers are internal beta drivers which we are testing at the moment. This new driver set (VT/PD) will be for the G400/RRG combo's and the Marvel.

Haig

Comment

Hi Haig,

Looks like neither of us read the critical parts of the post(s) thoroughly.

I missed the part about "current internal build", but since the question was about a specific driver set, wouldn't Olliver have been better off using the same driver builds?

Also it seems that you didn't page down far enough to read the last paragraph of my post, and made the same mistake in naming that I was querying. Ever since release, I've been calling the Marvel "Marv" and all Matrox employees have referred to it as "G200 Marvel". Since there are rumours rife all over the place about a G400 Marvel, would you please retain that convention unless there is a good reason why not.

Can you confirm that Olliver was using a G200 Marvel ?

Comment

Hi Chris,

My Ulcer's are starting to act up again

Since Olliver had the beta build allready installed, I wanted to see if the problem was also there with these drivers.

Anyways, he did reproduce it with the current beta build but it turned out not to be related to our driver.

Haig

Comment

Hi Haig,

Thanks for confirming that this isn't a driver problem. I'm sorry to hear about your ulcers, I have a gastritis problem that is aggravated by stress.

I think that I know what might be causing it

Chris
                            (PS, do you have any other side effects)

Comment

Hi Chris,

you are the most curious man I know !

Bye, Uwe.

Comment

Working...
                              X