Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black border on top and left of Marvel MJPEG projects...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black border on top and left of Marvel MJPEG projects...

I've noticed that when I create videos from Ulead MSP5.2, the image gets shifted down and to the right, leaving a black border to the left and top. Is there a way to correct this?

- Aryko

Hallo...? No one else gets this problem?

- Aryko

Comment

Is that during transitions and moving paths?

Elie

Comment

Aryko,

Yes, I've certainly noticed it. I decided to make a copy of a VHS tape previously created with MSP but when I recaptured and then played it back out the black border at the top got bigger and became visible on the TV.

I had to add a moving path to move the video back to its original position (up and left a bit) which was a right pain in the butt 'cause it meant I had to spend two entire evenings re-rendering over two hours of video.

Of course it also meant I needed tons of spare hard disk space for all those temporary files. Yes, I remember it well and, no, I don't know of any fix. I think its a problem built into the hardware (thanks Matrox).

Comment

Seems to be whenever a video is created with MSP, moving paths notwithstanding.

I see what you mean by it being visible on television - I guess the picture as created is slightly larger than the average tv frame, so that border on top and left is usually unseen.

A real pain for computer-based video, however.

- Aryko

Comment

This is a major problem with the Marvel. I don't think MSP has anything to do with it.

It only happens with video captured through the Marvel. Try creating a Video file from CG Infinity... You will not see any black borders.

On a first generation capture the borders are not a problem except in moving paths where you will see them as pure ugliness.

I would like to know if is this a hardware or driver problem?

Matrox, if you are listening, you owe it to your customers to address this issue. I have made movies with Avid cinema supplied with the Marvel and the black borders on moving path of captured video are there as well. This is a serious bug reproducible 100% of the time. Matrox should issue a fix or accepatable work-around for it.

Anthony
            Anthony
            • Slot 1 Celeron 400, Asus P2B, 256MB PC-100
            • AGP Marvel-TV 8MB NTSC
            • Turtle Beach Montego PCI sound card
            • C: IBM 10.1, 5400, Primary on 1, System, Swap, Software
            • D: IBM 13.5, 5400, Primary on 2, Dedicated to video
            • E: Memorex 48x CD, Secondary on 1
            • F: Yamaha CD-RW 2x2x8, Secondary on 2
            • Win98, FAT32 on C: & D:
            • MediaStudio Pro 5.2

Comment

Hi,
              Try adjusting the TV out positioning in the display drivers TV settings.

See if that works.

Elie

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Elie... but how do I do that? I don't see that option anywhere in the Matrox Quickdesk. I'm using Powerdesk 4.50.009.

- Aryko

Comment

OK,
                  First why don't you install the latest drivers for your Marvel G200 card.

If you don't want to upgrade that's ok but see if you can check these setting out..

1-go into Power Desk settings
                  2-click on TV out and check the box "Show display on TV"
                  3-click on monitor settings
                  4-click on adjust the current display mode

Turn your TV on.
                  Now all you have to do is click on the arrows until everything is aligned properly.
                  Click ok and your in buisness hopefully

Please understand if you dont see any of the options I just specified, its because your running the older drivers.
                  The best thing to do is try the new drivers, if my above recommendation doesn't work then you can always go back (which I doubt you will )

Nothing to lose if your that desperate

Regards and good luck
                  Elie

Comment

Elie,

Will adjusting the video display mode correct the top and left black borders on moving paths also, or just full screen?

-Anthony
                    Anthony
                    • Slot 1 Celeron 400, Asus P2B, 256MB PC-100
                    • AGP Marvel-TV 8MB NTSC
                    • Turtle Beach Montego PCI sound card
                    • C: IBM 10.1, 5400, Primary on 1, System, Swap, Software
                    • D: IBM 13.5, 5400, Primary on 2, Dedicated to video
                    • E: Memorex 48x CD, Secondary on 1
                    • F: Yamaha CD-RW 2x2x8, Secondary on 2
                    • Win98, FAT32 on C: & D:
                    • MediaStudio Pro 5.2

Comment

To tell you the truth, I don't know
                      You have to play around and experiment to see what works for you.

Regards,
                      Elie

Comment

Thanks Elie,

I see what you're suggesting, and it would probably do the trick on a basic video - one that didn't use moving paths (that aren't on a black background).

I wonder if Matrox knows about this problem?

- Aryko

Comment

Hi,

This shift depends on capture card / analog video source combination.

In my case, when I captured from VHS or live TV source, I had only one line shift (if any). When I captured analog video from Digital 8 camcorder, I got about 5 lines downshift. It is produced every time I CAPTURE from digital 8, so, if I do capture-record-capture several times, I get large downshift on TV screen. I have wrote about it before.

The shift is present on Brooktree capture card too.
                          It is also present in Canopus DV Raptor video overlay window.

So, I concluded that my Sony camcorder produces analog video frames that are downshifted slightly on any video capture or preview device I have tried (3 different cards for analog video). It is a camcorder problem in my case.

Although you can probably correct the output frame positioning with new drivers, you may need to make separate adjustments for different analog video sources.

Conclusion - the problem is on analog video path, not inside the codec or software. I don't think it is in Matrox hardware either. You can only ask Matrox for input frame position adjustment possibility in future driver releases.

Grigory

Comment

I had noticed this problem as well (only the vertical shift not the horizontal one). I posted it on this board and got a response from Haig, if only I could remember what it said. I tried to search for the article but I seems to be lost, maybe when GA went down one of those times.

As memory serves I think the Marvel has a problem detecting the vertical sync pulse and sometimes is a few lines out and this causes a shift down of the picture. I went out and bought a DC30+ (wish I new about the RT2000 then).

Does anyone know how to convert a Matrox MJPEG to a Pinnacle/Miro MJPEG? I did try using AVI10a.exe to change the dmb1 strings to MJPG but this didn't help.

Salacious

Comment

This also happens with the G400/RRG while recording from the tuner !
                              About 7 lines on top and 3 lines on the left.

TIQQ

Comment

Working...
                              X