What's going on - Quake3 low fps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's going on - Quake3 low fps

Well, I've installed new 5.3 driver and I was expecting much better performance in Q3. Everything is excellent in Quake 2 - 49 fps running crusher at 1024 and over 100 fps at 640 running Demo1 with all highest settings and 32bit colour but....Quake3 is completly a different story. I was getting 24.8 fps before and now I get 25.5. Does this sounds right? Some people are reporting over 40fps. Are we running demos with the same set of settings?

My Q3 setting:

Graphics Options
    GL extension ON
    Video Mode 1024x768
    Color depth 32-bit
    fullsreen ON
    Lighting Lightmap
    geometric detail High
    texture detail Highest setting (most to the right)
    texture quality 32-bit
    texture filter trilinear

Games Options:
    Everything on except sync every frame

Quake 3 reports that I'm using new Turbo OpenGl driver.

If someone could run q3demo1 with identical settings and let me know the results that would be great. Then, I can see if any intervetion is required (find problem)

My system:
    PIII 450@540
    160MB PC100
    Abit BE6
    G400Max
    SB64

Ya, I get the same shit scores. (worse) I got 24.1 FPS on my system with the same settings as you. But even with quake 2, i get sub-standard rates. like at 640x480x32 i got 85.5. I don't get it! Somebody please help!

------------------
    Asus P3B-F MB
    128MB PC100 SDRAM
    Matrox G400 MAX PD5.30, bios 1.5-22
    Diamond Monster Sound MX-300 PCI

Asus P3B-F MB
    P3-450 o/c to 560
    128MB PC100 SDRAM
    Matrox G400 MAX PD5.30, bios 1.5-22
    Diamond Monster Sound MX-300 PCI

Comment

Same scores here ! (Shit)
      Now we are three that don´t get the wonderful over 40 fps in 32 bit ;(

Piii540 , g400max , 32bit , 32 bit tex , all at max , 32 bit z , vsync off (everywhere !), not over 25 fps !!!!!

Comment

Ya...i am getting the same results in Q3...here is what i got using ANT's settings(on his graph)...

-640x(whatever it is..i never play this low)x32 : 60 fps

-800x600x32 : 38 fps

-1024x768x32 : 26 fps

Now...im not one to bitch and moan about fps cuz i can play online just fine at 1024x768x32 and bilinear...BUT i see that others (Including ANT) are getting a hell of alot higher #'s than i am and i have the same CPU power...what gives? Is my P3 not using the drivers properly?...HL seems to run a HELL of alot faster but Q3 isnt really much of anything...i would at least like to be getting the mid 40's like everyone else in 1024x768x32...HELP!!!!

------------------
        P3 500(not overclocked)
        128 MB PC100 SDRAM
        SE440BX-2 Motherboard by Intel
        Seagate 8.4 gig HDD
        Diamond MX300 Sound Card
        AOpen 40x CD ROM
        Ethernet 32 bit PCI Card
        Motorola Cable Modem
        Matrox G400 32 OEM Single Head @150
        17" CRT Monitor
        Altec Lansing 2 Speakers and Sub

----CoolBreeze aka KAST----
        P3 500(not overclocked)
        128 MB PC100 SDRAM
        SE440BX-2 Motherboard by Intel
        Seagate 8.4 gig HDD
        Diamond MX300 Sound Card
        AOpen 40x CD ROM
        Ethernet 32 bit PCI Card
        Motorola Cable Modem
        Matrox G400 32 OEM Single Head @150
        17" CRT Monitor
        Altec Lansing 2 Speakers and Sub

----CoolBreeze aka KAST----

Comment

Kruzin , ant , haig , whoever , HELP !!!!!!
          There are 4 guys that don´t get the good scores at 32 bit !!!!!!!!!

Comment

The high benchmarks that people references were done using only default high quality settings. By turning on the trilinear filtering, turning the texture filter to max, turning on additional effects, you lowered your frame rate. Most of the really high benchmarks were benchmarked either in 16bit or on a P3-600.

Thanks,

Sean

Comment

Cont.

Ant's scores were posted with settings to the max, but he benchmarked on a p3-500. These new TurboGL drivers seem to be very cpu limited.

Thanks,

Sean

Comment

I have the same experience. Fps are ~31 with all factors on/high/32bpp except for textures, which is at ~3/4. When the slider is all the way to the right , fps is unplayable, ~12. On a P600 , 19".Quake sucks anyway.

Hl/mp rocks though.Bye bye SLI and 2 extra fans.

Whens the next board due ?

------------------
                In Harm's Way
                In Harm's Way

Comment

Are you guys SURE you're using turboGL?

I tried this on a P3-500. Went from 24fps to 34fps with EVERYTHING on all the way. Drop textures a notch and it jumps to over 40.

- Gurm

------------------
                  G. U. R. M. It's not hard to spell, is it? Then don't screw it up!
                  The word "Gurm" is in no way Copyright 1999 Jorden van der Elst.
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

make sure the opengl32.dll is in the quake3 folder.i benched mine and saw no new results at all.then i went back to my drivers and reinstalled by clicking on the install file(instead of letting windows set it up)and then it installed the turbo and my fps went from 28 to 62 in q3 800x600 w/a p3 550 128 megs ram
                    those who can do!!
                    those who cant teach!!

Comment

Like it's had been ssaid by kruzin and some others that if, you don't use setup.exe you have to manually install opengl32.dll to your game directory. And if you add a game after setupping drivers you have to manually put opengl32.dll to your game directory. TurboGL driver must be in game directory in order to make it work. If I have to guess, I'd say that you don't have the correct opengl32.dll in your game directory.

--
                      Arto
                      --
                      Cirrus

Comment

hey guys here my qt3 test bench
                        with athlon 600 and a regular g400 (not max)
                        640*480 32bit zbuffer trillinear, flares (etc etc) 43.1 fps demo1
                        640*480 32 bit 58 fps demo2
                        800*600 32bit 29.4 fps demo1
                        1024*768 32bit 18.2 fps demo 1
                        using the normal settings
                        1024*768 39,7 fps

ken enjoy or not, i just don't know if my fps are good or bad !

Comment

OK, so the only important thing is which opengl32.dll version is in the q3 folder , right ??

Ok, mine reads : opengl32.dll , 541 KB , version 5.30.007.003 , "Matrox Turbogl driver"

Powerdesk is reporting that the driver is installed correctly and not out of date .

I have an idea : what if the v2slis cannot only make the turbogl refuse to work but , in some cases , slows the performance down ?
                          (because my v2 AND turbogl are working together , i use creative´s v2 drivers ..)

ps: the opengl32.dll version that is in system folder is completely different ..

Comment

Err, either athlons suck or you haven't got TurboGL in there. Those scores are even low for the regular ICD. 18fps in 1024x786? OUCH.

Sorry to say your setup needs some help. What kind? I dunno, I have no Athlon experience.

- Gurm

------------------
                            G. U. R. M. It's not hard to spell, is it? Then don't screw it up!
                            The word "Gurm" is in no way Copyright 1999 Jorden van der Elst.
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

well my bench at 1024 seems pretty low... but my system is not tweaked for now i have loads of bugs (that does not seems to appear on other athlon system, so it could be my mobo or µc) i launch the test several time after and i get up to 23 fps, (and as i am testing quake3 i am too surfing on the web..)

Comment

Working...
                              X