Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing MPEG File

I have a simple question for you guys.

First off, I'm using Marvel G200 in W98 with plenty of space running on a C464. I also use MSP 5.2.

I have a 300 meg MPEG file. I want to replace the beginning 17 secs with a new clip and then chop off the last 30 secs. I have tried a couple different ways of going about this.

After placing the MPEG in MSP and then truncate the beginning and end, I can use smart-rendering to quickly get some output. But after adding a title clip, everything renders so slow. Even after the MPEG clips starts to render.

Do you have any suggestions on what to do? Should I convert the MPEG into AVI format first, and then do the editing? Which codec should I use when converting MPEG -> AVI?

Another quicky: Why when I "preview" video only, I get instant preview. But when I preview video AND audio, MSP has to save the entire project first. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot for your help. Any suggestions/hints would be great!

Thanks
    Steve

Hi Beachman,

I guess you mean MJPEG not MPEG, since MS (currently) doesn't edit MPEGS. MJPEGS are a form of AVI, in this case using the Matrox MJPEG codec.

I prefer to capture fairly small clips, just to prevent having to do long renders as you describe. Trim each clip individually, and then assemble the lot adding your titles/transitions last. This should reduce the final rendering time, although don't expect miracles.

Comment

Actually, the original file is an MPEG. I didn't capture the file at all. I just got the 300 meg MPG. MS actually behaved quite nice with the file. I was able to trim the ends just fine. I created some title clips in MSCG and inserted them into the project. Since this is really my first major adventure into editing, the whole concept is pretty exciting and scary at the same time (because there is so much going on!).

MS "renders" the MPEG file into MJPEG at about 1.5 secs for 1 sec of MPEG. I say "renders" because it looks like it is just copying it from mpeg into the output mjpeg file. I may be wrong, remember I am a newbie at this. (But I'm not new to the forum. I've been reading it for months now. But as everyone knows, there is a difference in reading about something and actually doing it! heh)

The only problem I've had is the sound is corrupted in the final output MJPEG file. I'm going to try and output the wav file only and then use XING to bring the two files (video and audio) back together into an MPEG. Who knows if this is going to work! heh.

Thanks for your help. This forum is great.

Steve

Comment

Working...
      X