Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explosions cause HL slowdown

Hi folks,

HL runs fine on my system ( G400, PII 266 - yes, I know... ) _except when there's a large explosion, when the fps drop badly. I assume this is because my processor is pretty slow, but it doesn't happen in software mode...?

It seems to be related to the number of fragments ( of boxes etc ) floating around. Anyone know of a command to limit the number of these, or reduce their render quality or anything similar ?

Cheers

Ian

gl_picmip can help some. It reduces the complexity of textures. The value can be from 0 to 4, 0 being highest quality, 4 being lowest...

r_drawviewmodel "0" will also give a nice boost, but removes your gun from the screen...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Thanks,

I'll try these. gl_polyoffset works OK, so I'll leave it !

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Kruzin,

Thanks for your reply; gl_picmip in fact didn't help too much & I wasn't happy with the reduced quality. So I experimented with a load more settings. ( I found the game was also slowing down when there were more than 3 or 4 opponents in a map. )

Setting gl_playermip "2" seems to help alot - but I assumed this would only work in multiplayer. Do you how this setting works ?

And if anyone else has problems with HL slowing down when ( presumably ) the AI is working flat out, maybe this will help ?

Cheers

Ian

Comment

up

Comment

gl_playermip, afaik, only affects multi-player, but I'm not sure about that.

Looking over the thread, I don't see any mention of the big one (musta had brain lock)...
            Make sure to add
            gl_texsort "1"
            to your config.
            This one makes a very big difference.

Aside from that, all I can suggest is a more potent processor (but you knew that )
            Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
            X