Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK! I give! G400MAX should run with what 2nd board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK! I give! G400MAX should run with what 2nd board?

Uncle!

Well, unless a TurboPII ICD ever shows, what are the experts' recommendation for a second board to add to my system to play Tribes, among others?

Nvidia? Some CL TNT2 card? Voodoo3 by someone?

Be specific, fellas, so you don't have to hear me b*tch any more.

~Godzilla:~
    • ASUS P2B-LS motherboard, BIOS rev.1010;UW/SCSI o/b
    • Intel P-III 500 mHz; 64 megs PC-100 RAM
    • Millenium G400MAX AGP w/Powerdesk 5.25
    • and
    • Diamond Monster 3D {Voodoo2 12 meg}
    • NEC E1100 20" monitor
    • 6.5 gig UW/SCSI HD
    • SB Live! w/ current driver set {October}
    • WACOM artpad-II and generic mouse
    • SCSI scanner, JAZ drive, printer, yada yada
    • WIN95 OSR2, still going!
    • 2 dogs, 5 cats, 2 ferrets, iguana, box turtle, various fish, 3 tarantulas

www.soundblaster.com/specials/voodoo2/

You can get V2 SLI 12Mb for $60 3D addon!
    So no prob trying to configure 2 primary cards.
    Just as a suggestion.
    Frank.

Comment

heh, if you wanna run your g400 with another card, your other card will have to be pci obviously.

Check it out:

http://www.creative.com/specials/voodoo2/

For $40 you can get voodoo3 performance (it's faster than a v3 3000 if your overclock them). This is about as fast as you can get for tribes right now. I know what your saying image quality blah blah blah.. but trust me, SLI totally rocks as far as speed goes. The only sacrifice you make here is 2 pci slots. You can't beat $40 for glide support, that's just awesome (although I'd shell out the extra for the 12 meg versions). Might wanna hurry though, they will sell like hotcakes. Diamond did that sh*t a while back and ran out of supply in a week.

Comment

I think would go for a pci V3 2k so you don't use up two slots. I was thinking about doing this myself because I have a boxed V3 2k that I've been saving.

Lets see, G400 dual head with a V3 2k, would that be triple head?

Comment

Greets all,

After some poking around, I'm gonna try & win a Monster2 3D 12 megger on ebay, and go for it. Thanks for all responses!

As for losing slots, eh, the MAX is an AGP, so I've a few PCI's free, but thanks!

~Godzilla:~
          • ASUS P2B-LS motherboard, BIOS rev.1010;UW/SCSI o/b
          • Intel P-III 500 mHz; 64 megs PC-100 RAM
          • Millenium G400MAX AGP w/Powerdesk 5.25
          • and
          • Diamond Monster 3D {Voodoo2 12 meg}
          • NEC E1100 20" monitor
          • 6.5 gig UW/SCSI HD
          • SB Live! w/ current driver set {October}
          • WACOM artpad-II and generic mouse
          • SCSI scanner, JAZ drive, printer, yada yada
          • WIN95 OSR2, still going!
          • 2 dogs, 5 cats, 2 ferrets, iguana, box turtle, various fish, 3 tarantulas

Comment

Have any of you actually TRIED running another card with a dual-head G400? It isn't supposed to work unless it's an add-on card like a V2.

- Gurm

------------------
            G. U. R. M. It's not hard to spell, is it? Then don't screw it up!
            The word "Gurm" is in no way Copyright 1999 Jorden van der Elst.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

I might just try an old S3 board...all of those are supposed to work with native win98 multimonitor, as long as the primary/secondary is also supported. Use you bios to pick n choose which coems first

Anyway, get a V2 or two, verrrry cheap nowadays. Creative was wellll sold out folks, lasted about 2 days tops, and they sure as hell aren't going to fab any more I got two 8s, if I really care about texture ram, I'll use g400.

Look local: ads/shows/swaps/lan parties and regional newgroups, someone will be unloading their old v2 for peanuts.

$40 for SLI wasn't bad, basically for q1, q2, UHLE and old stuff only...plus I pass through onto my secondary monitor, which is nice. I have an old 12mb already, but its being used in system #2.

Also the linux drivers are more robust right now

If you have three monitors to blow, you're really damn spoiled. Build another system damnit, you'll get more use.

Comment

Oh yes, v2 doesn't use irqs. Great for taking up the 'irq sharing' slot on your motherboard.

For Abit thats usually PCI#1. Any AGP card I've ever had (r128 i740 g400) does NOT share its toys well with any of my scsi or ethernet cards.

Comment

I have never had a problem with IRQ sharing and my AGP cards (G400 MAX, G200).

G400 MAX works just fine with a Millennium II as the second head. I took out the MII when my new video cables came in (no longer necessary).

When you have multiple display adapters under Windows 98, OpenGL is disabled for ALL display adapters. D3D is unaffected. This is a Windows limitation. However, because the Voodoo2 is a multimedia controller, and not a display adapter, it continues to function just fine. And yes, the MAX's second output in Multi-Monitor mode DOES count as a second adapter when counting heads for OpenGL support.

To get hardware OpenGL running again, simply disable the second head under display properties (you don't have to kill the card in Device Manager).

------------------
                  Primary System: PIII-540 (450@4.5x120), Soyo 6BA+ III, 256MB PC100 ECC SDRAM, G400 MAX in multi-monitor mode. V2 SLI rig. Two Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 900u monitors, 3Com 3C905, SoundBlaster Live!, DeskTop Theater DTT2500 DIGITAL Speaker System (Sweeeeeet!), 2nd Parallel Port, WD AC41800 18GB HD, WD AC310100 10GB HD, Toshiba SD-M1212 6x DVD-ROM, HP 8100i CD-RW, Epson Stylus Pro, Sharp JX-9400 LJ-II compatible, OptiUPS PowerES 650, MS SideWinder Precision Pro USB joystick, Logitech 3-button mouse, Mitsumi keyboard, Win98 SE, Belkin OmniCube 4-port KVM

Secondary System: PII-266, Asus P2B BIOS 1008, 128MB PC100 ECC SDRAM, Millennium II, 3Com 3C590, ADSL Modem 640kbit down/90kbit up, 3Com 3C509, Mylex BT-930 SCSI card, Seagate 2GB Hawk, NEC 6x CD-ROM, Linux distro S.u.S.E. 6.1 (IP Masquerade works!)

Tertiary System: DFI G568IPC Intel 430HX chipset, P200MMX, 96MB of non-parity RAM, Millennium II, Intel Pro/100+ client NIC, SoundBlaster 16 MCD, Fujitsu 3.5GB HD, WD 1.2GB HD, Creative Dxr3 DVD decoder card, Hitachi GD-2500 6x DVD-ROM, Win98 SE

All specs subject to change.

The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
                  The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
                  The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

If I bought a Voodoo 2 and put it onto the second head of my G400 would that work?

Comment

Working...
                    X