No announcement yet.

Abit BP6 and Matrox Max AGP question???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abit BP6 and Matrox Max AGP question???

Ive downloaded and run the PCILIST program to check on my AGP features as suggested by a member in the forum.
    I have a Matrox max (normal clocking) incidentally.
    At any rate it shows my AGP multiplier locked on agpx1.....(I have the Abit BP6 Motherboard).
    I understand that the Matrox supports x2 (x4??) AGP multipliers, so I am unsure as to why it is not registering agpx2??...........anyone got any ideas???

thanks for the reply......and the FSB is at 100Mhz and the AGP ratio is 1/1......does that shed any light on the matter??
    what difference do those values make to the agp result?

cheers

Comment

I'm actually surprised you're able to boot into windows with those settings. FSB of 100 mhz is fine if the board supports it (your board does), but the AGP devider at 1/1 is bad. What that means is that your AGP bus runs at 100mhz. This is 33mhz over the AGP spec. which is 66mhz. What you need to do is goto your BIOS and change the AGP devider to 2/3, which is properly 66mhz.

You may not actually get AGP 2x anyway, but as others mentioned, there is little performance difference, if any at all. However you will gain a greater stability if you had problems before. Overclocking the AGP bus may have adverse effects on your video board, or other hardware in general.
      If you still want to get AGP 2x, you can change "AGPFlags" to -1 under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Class\Display\000x\Settings\CPU where x is 0-9 depending on your setup.

There ya go.

Comment

Excellent, hmmmm.....I see your point on the 1/1 ratio!!, makes perfect sense when you think about it....duh. I do however have what could be loosely regarded as "stability" at this ratio, but I will change the ratio more particularly for when Im running at 567Mhz. This speed has not been as stable as I had hoped, so chaging the multiplier may well help.!!
        I even manage to get it posted at 606Mhz, so of course my Peltier is on its way!!.....plus the Australian summer is coming fast and cooling becomes a necessity not an option.
        Incidentlly, is the AGP altered depending on what application is running at the time?
        I ran PCILIST once (damn it, I dont remember which app was running before it) and the multiplier was on "2"???......every time since its been at "1"???
        I also unchecked the "bump map cache" in the Powerdesk options section and rebooted, as someone here had commented that it had worked for them, it was only a temporary change and I dont know whether it was the application or the unchecking or a combo of both??
        I have just installed G400Tweak and have ticked "force AGP x 2" with no change according to PCILIST?????????.........shit
        I realise the difference between 1 and 2 may be negligable but Im more than curious to know why its not working as I believe it should.........arrggghhhhh.

Comment

Working...
        X