Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grim Fandango + g200

Hello there,

I am really hoping that you can help me with this one.

My PC is configured as follows:

PII 333
    128 MB
    Intel SE440BX MB
    Adaptec 2940U SCSI Adapter (1 HD 1 Jaz)
    IDE 8 GB HD (also)
    SB Live! Value

This system works great with many games (Half Life, FF7, Xwing Alliance,etc.) however I am having problems with Grim Fandango, it used to work perfectly with old drivers (I do not know which version) but since I updated to PD 5.25 whenever I switch on Hardware Acceleration the moving characters (manny) will mostly disapear from the screen, it is a let down since I don't want to go back to old drivers because I am currently playing Half Life.
    I have the latest update from LucasArts, but to no avail.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Miguel.

Does it work with the hardware acceleration turned off?

["Doctor, it hurts when I do this with my elbow." "Then don't do that with your elbow!"]
    ------------------------------
    Holly
    Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
    -Jay Bulworth

Comment

yes it does, but a lot slower of course.

Comment

When I had my G200 I remember GF being very picky about driver versions. All drivers prior to 4.51 (hope I remember that correctly) produced the invisible man effect. 4.51 worked fine. Maybe they did something with the new drivers to cause it to happen again. Maybe you just have to use 4.51 to play GF and <humor>complain a lot about it to matrox tech support </humor>.

mikko

Comment

Hi
          I just finished Grim last week, had a lot of problems with Year 3 and first bit of 4, kept crashing to desktop.
          THe invisible man effect is caused by using 32bit z buffer. Just disable it in the Matrox setting.
          I am still using PD5.13 and bios 2.3

Hope this helps

RC

Comment

My favorite adventure game. One of the readme's somewhere does say to turn off 32 bit z-buffering and it helped on my machine. The only problem I had was that I got Manny stuck in some suitcases once and had to go back to my last save. Other than that, it worked fine as I remember. Oh yeh, Lucas doesn't support 32 bit color either, so you can try turning that off, too. I played it with the 4.26 drivers.
            RAB
            AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Turning off the Z-Buffer did the trick, thanks a lot guy you are a most helpfull bunch.

Now, if you don't mind what exactly does the 32 bit Z-Buffer does, and what I am losing on for having that off.

Thanks again,

Miguel

Comment

Working...
              X