Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 TurboICD miniGL announced!

http://www.murc.ws/reviews/turbogl/turbogl.html

Ant just posted it! What we've been waiting for.

TurboICD !!!!

A mini-GL driver for the G400 and OGL based games.

SUCK THAT GeSPOT
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

But I only have a K6-2!

------------------
    K6-2/350@400, 503+ rev 1.2a, 128MB PC100 RAM, Millenium G200, RH6.0 w/ 2.2.12, Win98, and too many classes
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Hello Kruzin,
      This is great news for us all and what a reformance increase. Wow.
      However, it is only just today I install my Creative Labs 12Mb V2 to get along with my G400. It is with MUCH curiosity that having installed the seperate Creative 'minigl' driver d/l from their website now does not let me use the G400 opengl.
      This is not as bad as it seems initially.
      My performance at resolutions above 1024x768(indicating that it is not my voodoo2 be used) have skyrocketed. After benchmarking, I obtained in excess of 20fps increase at all resolutions and colour depths.
      WASSUP with this. Is this what Matrox is basically coming out with?
      With previous G400ICD I got 41fps in High Quality test (nothing changed from default install of Q3), with the creative minigl drivers(as described in the 'about drivers' option) I obtain 63fps!!
      Very interesting discovery.
      If any CL V2 owners would care to comment on this, possibly indicating what .dll to manipulate in the Q3 directory to use the G400ICD, would be more than welcomed.
      Regards,
      Frank.

[This message has been edited by Frank (edited 09-22-1999).]

Comment

Frank I have a V2/12 with creative drivers and a g400/32 "regular guy"
        The case to be made is why would you even use a V2 if you own a G400? I use mine for 2 games, Tribes and Ureal/UT. no mini plug! If you are interested in trying out the new Turbo OGL, just rename the mini-plug in the game folder, and see what you think. Unless you have a 14" compaq supreme for a monitor I bet you you can tell the QUALITY of the G400 over the V2. If you still need those extra FPS to frag someones butt rename the Matrox Turbo in your system and continue to enjoy the high-end rendering qualities of the historic V2 chipset. Fair enough?

Comment

does it work for g200? :P
          ==
          "In Japan, I was in a relationship for seven years and my boyfriend never once heard me pee." --Miho Ogawa, 29, a Japanese waitress living in New York / Giant Robot 24

Comment

Hello LAMFDTK,
            Yes like you I only have the V2 for Unreal and a couple of other glide specific games.
            But I decided I would try Creatives drivers and was surprised at the smoothness of the frame rate in Q3. I have not achieved this kind of rendering speed with my G400.
            Yes as you have indicated, apon second observation the picture quality was not there and this led me to believe that the V2's are running at 1600x1200!? (something was anyway)
            Hmmmm. I am much impressed with the silky smoothness even at higher texture setting, but was under the impression that CL V2 can only render at most 1024x768 SLI. By the same token I will continue to enjoy the G400 visuals which are 2nd to none. Period.
            Thanks for the tip Lamfdtk, I will try to rename that file.
            Frank.

edited: but I am still confused wheather it's the G400 using Creatives minigl to render with superior/optimised speed(characteristic of the newly announced turbogl) or if its the V2 using Creatives minigl to render at 1600x1200.

[This message has been edited by Frank (edited 09-22-1999).]

Comment

um.....

I have a celeron 366a@550 & why the phack dont the TurboGL suport theese kind of cpu's ? Theese cpu's rock @ 100MHz FSB + The dubble speed of L2 Cache....

And not to speek of the dual system !! =)

Comment

um, should i make a minnie driver joke now?
                ==
                "In Japan, I was in a relationship for seven years and my boyfriend never once heard me pee." --Miho Ogawa, 29, a Japanese waitress living in New York / Giant Robot 24

Comment

Hello everybody!
                  I have a PII 350 MHz. Should I bother downloading these drivers, or do i need a PIII or Athlon to use them? Have anyone tried these driver with a PII or similar?

===================================
                  PII 350, 96 RAM, 17 Gb Harddrive, G400 32 Mb DH (not MAX).

Comment

Greets all,

I too, have a PII for my G400MAX to call home, an use no other cards [not sure why you bother getting 2]. And, I'm also trying desperately to get Tribes to work.

Anyone using the new Matrox Minidriver in a non-P3, is it worth using on my PII? I'm confused, would using it improve my performance as well?

Frank: would you [or anyone] recommend me DLing this Creative minidriver instead of Matrox's and crowbarring it in there in place of the Matrox driver? Or is this a bad idea?

LAMFTDK: Are you really playing Tribes in OGL?? I just can't, looks awesome while I remain still but any mouse/button movement at all results in insane choppy lag that makes playing just impossible. What settings are you using? Please help!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PII-350, 100mHz board w/ UW-SCSI
                    64megs RAM
                    Millenium G400MAX AGP @ 1024x768
                    ~Godzilla:~
                    • ASUS P2B-LS motherboard, BIOS rev.1010;UW/SCSI o/b
                    • Intel P-III 500 mHz; 64 megs PC-100 RAM
                    • Millenium G400MAX AGP w/Powerdesk 5.25
                    • and
                    • Diamond Monster 3D {Voodoo2 12 meg}
                    • NEC E1100 20" monitor
                    • 6.5 gig UW/SCSI HD
                    • SB Live! w/ current driver set {October}
                    • WACOM artpad-II and generic mouse
                    • SCSI scanner, JAZ drive, printer, yada yada
                    • WIN95 OSR2, still going!
                    • 2 dogs, 5 cats, 2 ferrets, iguana, box turtle, various fish, 3 tarantulas

Comment

All PII users, and other CPU's without SSE/3DN, read the next two threads... info there!!
                      http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/004745.html

and
                      http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/004744.html

Jorden.
                      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Hello PCXL,
                        No I would not advise anyone to seriously consider d/l Craetives standalone 'minigl' drivers for use with their G400.
                        I still have not been able to confirm if it is the voodoo2's working at 1600x1200 or if its the G400 using creatives drivers to produce much faster rendering in Quake3.
                        BTW in Q3 it starts with the creative logo but then the setup will not allow me to choose the voodoo drivers, just the default (opengl).
                        And in Q2 (increadible speed gains agian in crusher and massive but the image quality is not there) it wont let me choose the '3dfx opengl', just 'default opengl'.
                        Frank.

Comment

I guess that these new gl drivers make use of PIII simd(or whatever) and K7's equivalent thingy. And thats how they are able to enhance their performance in graphics. And by the sounds of it, Matrox is developing the 'minigl' optimised driver specifically for games like the 3dfx minigl and Creatives 'minigl' drivers.
                          This a good thing.
                          Frank.

Comment

I simply touched the heatsinks (I have applied) on the voodoo2 boards and have confirmed that it is they that are operating at 1600x1200(x32) in quake3 and also quake2! In q3 I am required to change the .dll extension on the OpenGL32.dll file (installed by the Creative driver update) in the q3 directory, and I will regain use of the G400 and it's ICD (again confirmed by touching the heatsink).
                            In the Q2 dir it is a simple matter of changing the OpenGL32.dll to 3dfxgl.dll and I am able to choose which card I wish to use during the game.
                            Having owned V2 boards for over 18 months I never knew they could process GL instructions at that resolutions in quake2! I learn something new everyday.....but I care not since I have a G400.
                            In Q2 it is evident which card is in use by the picture quality however in Q3 is not so immediate.
                            Frank.

Comment

Frank,

If you're still unsure of which card is being used, remove the pass through. Hook you monitor directly to the G400 or the V2's.

Comment

Working...
                              X