Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400MAX & Tribes

Greets all,

Yeah yeah, the Open GL for the G400 sucks. I am able to get the game to load in OGL, and while the textures looks stellar while I stand still, any movement at all results in wierd artifacts and frame-rates far too low to even consider playing. I'm kinda ticked off that this new Turbo GL thing is only good for the PIII. What the hell is that about?? I just bought this card, & I expect my chip to be supported too, not like I'm on a 486, for god's sake. Matrox MUST put out an improvement for the card, period.

Right now, I must play the game I bought this card for in software mode; though, a tip for others out there, crank the res up as far as you dare, and things start to look OK. But, I ain't settling! *Shakes his fist at the gods*
    ~Godzilla:~
    • ASUS P2B-LS motherboard, BIOS rev.1010;UW/SCSI o/b
    • Intel P-III 500 mHz; 64 megs PC-100 RAM
    • Millenium G400MAX AGP w/Powerdesk 5.25
    • and
    • Diamond Monster 3D {Voodoo2 12 meg}
    • NEC E1100 20" monitor
    • 6.5 gig UW/SCSI HD
    • SB Live! w/ current driver set {October}
    • WACOM artpad-II and generic mouse
    • SCSI scanner, JAZ drive, printer, yada yada
    • WIN95 OSR2, still going!
    • 2 dogs, 5 cats, 2 ferrets, iguana, box turtle, various fish, 3 tarantulas

What about Dynamix?
    Bitch at them about their piss-poor OGL coding in the game. If they had done it right, instead of making it "TnT-OGL" (no card runs the game decently in OGL if it's not a TnT based card), we wouldn't have this problem.

Admittedly, the current G400 ICD is not the fastest on the market, but don't drop all the blame on Matrox. It plays other OGL games with proper OGL coding just fine...

[This message has been edited by Kruzin (edited 09-22-1999).]
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

You actually got it to run on your card, Tribes does not run at all on my G400 MAX I select the GL mode that shows my card then hit apply and it just closes to windows. And yeah you should blame the bitches at dynamix for the poor code not Matrox, every game I play is fine and fast enough cause if you call 50FPS in Quake3 arena slow then your nuts, but back to the whole driver issue it took Dynamix over four patches to get their OpenGL code to run at a playable level on TNT cards let alone any other card out there.

Eclypse

Comment

Eclypse, I hear ya. Believe me, I've already sent e-bytches to Dynamix, heh heh. But, I'm running the 1.8 patch, have you upgraded? Just a question.

I'm complaining on Matrox cuz I don;t want any further unpleasant surprises with this board on upcoming games. I won't buy any comp stuff unless it'll function for me at leat a year, though I don't count a 'new generation' in that one. Long as the card will function, I like it. But I just got the thing & a game that's more than 6 months old won't run? I can't accept it.

I'm an ex-Diamond user [MAX replaces an original run of the Fire GL1000], and just expected a little more from Matrox.

All help appreciated!
        • and
        • NEC E1100 20" monitor
        • 6.5 gig UW/SCSI HD

Comment

The reason Tribes sucks for OGL support, is that when the game was released, 3D FX was still king when it came to 3D graphics. Thus, Dynamix coded for Glide and not much else.

A note to all you Matrox users: Keep a Voodoo 2 card in your system in addition to the Matrox as it will ensure that virtually every game every made will run.

Comment

That's my thoughts too General, but you get spoiled soooo fast by the g400's visuals. It almost hurts to go back to playing a game on the ole V2.

------------------
            Cel 266@448 on Asus P2b (1009), 128MB, OEM G400/16, Quantum Obsidian S12, Fujitsu 5.25gb, MX300, Dlink 530, Grey Cat, Orange Cat (still MIA)
            --
            Reports of Sig5.2x being 40% more interesting than Sig5.13 were greatly exaggerated...

Games Box
            --------------
            Windows 2000Pro, ASUS A7Pro, Duron 750@950, 192MB Micron PC133, OEM Radeon DDR, 15gb Quantum Fireball+ LM, Fujitsu 5.25gb, Pioneer 32x slot load CDROM, SB Live! Value, LinkSys LNE100, Altec Lansing ACS45.2, Samsung Syncmaster 955DF, Sycom 300va UPS

Video Box
            ------
            Windows 2000Pro, PIII700 on ASUS CUBX, 256mb Micron PC133, Vanilla G400/32 (PD5.14), Hauppage WinTV-DBX, LinkSys LNE100, 8.4gb Maxtor HD, 40gb 7200 Western Digital, Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer 32x SCSI Slot load CDROM, Pioneer 10x Slot load DVD, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Panasonic Panasync S70

Feline Tech Support
            -------------
            Jinx the Grey Thundercat, Mischa (Shilsner?)(still MIA)

...currently working on the world's first C64 based parallel computing project

Comment

An Update:

With the most current PowerDesk AND the dread Beta both DL'd, I found 2 interesting things:

1. There is now a clearly-named 'Matrox G400 @32bit' choice in the drop-down for Full-screen rendering of Tribes, and

2. the game won't actually let me apply said choice, but rather, dumps to Windows and returns after another frustrated icon-click back in software mode. None of the other [TNT2, i740] choices will apply, either, and highest res. is now 1024.

*sigh* Guess I'll wait till OCt 6th and try again?
              • and
              • NEC E1100 20" monitor
              • 6.5 gig UW/SCSI HD

Comment

I, too, have been trying to get Tribes working under OGL (with a G200, though). I've had some luck.

Go to your tribes\config dir and edit ClientPrefs.cs. Change the line
                $pref::VideoFullScreenDriver = "Software"
                to read
                $pref::VideoFullScreenDriver = "OpenGL"
                and change the resolution to "640x480" below (for safety... if this works you can try "800x600"). Tribes should run in OpenGL mode now... unfortunately, it's very slow.

Something interesting, though. Fire up a game, then zoom in and hold. Magically, it's smooth--as in better than playable--and really beautiful (see what you're missing in software mode!)--even shadows look great. Zoom out again, and it's back to chunk city. Don't ask me why. Anyone for playing a whole game in 10x?

Scycon

Comment

"Right now, I must play the game I bought this card for in software mode"

Are you kidding? This is all over this board. Tribes does not work on anything BUT Nvidia in OGL. Its everywhere. Your mistake. I cant wait for your Unreal bitch. It is so slow in OGL in Unreal....Matrox sucks... heheh

At least Tribes is under 20$,,,

Comment

Sure the Matrox may have good visuals, but for games like Tribes, what's the point if you can't actually see anything or move?

Besides, in a game like Tribes, if you stop to look at the pretty scenery from your Matrox card, some punk-ass sniper is bound to get you.

I think the compatibility problems with the G400 and some games is why I'm going to pass on the G400 and look at an Nvidia or maybe 3D FX (if the Voodoo4 is decent) when I buy my next comp upgrade.

Comment

General Veers do you even READ the responses?
                      Please buy a voodoo, you will love it!

Comment

*secretly takes a dump on LAMFDTK's card*
                        • and
                        • NEC E1100 20" monitor
                        • 6.5 gig UW/SCSI HD

Comment

LAMFTDK:

I read every response. I already own two Vodoo2s running in SLI mode. All I can say about them is that they have been flawless in every single 3D game I've ever played. They are starting to show their age in some games like Quake 3, but still in terms of compatibility I can't think of anything superior.

Comment

Tribes works in OGL only with Nvidia

Get it yet?
                            Or do you still have a problem
                            WTF do you guy want?
                            Why is this so hard for some folks...

Why does my G400 smell?

[This message has been edited by LAMFDTK (edited 09-24-1999).]

Comment

Tribes and UT=voodoo

everything else=G400
                              "640K ought to be enough for anybody."
                              [Bill Gates, 1981]

Comment

Working...
                              X