No announcement yet.

G400 and V2 SLI - good gaming solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 and V2 SLI - good gaming solution?

I'm wondering if anyone has this setup and if so, what games do you use the V2's with?

My dilemma is that I want the G400 for 2D work apps and know that it'll do Direct3D games fine. I'm a little concerned that it may not be as fast as I'm used to for Q2 or for UT when that's released. What are your thoughts? Can I sell my SLI setup, or do you think it makes sense to keep it?

You should definitely keep it. I'm currently running SLI Voodoo 2 for games, while I use a Permedia 2 card for apps like 3D Studio MAX. Even when I upgrade my system to an Athlon/PIII and a TNT-2 card I plan on keeping my Voodoo 2s around in case I run into a game which won't work.

Given Matrox's current record for compatibility it only makes sense to keep a backup card.

Comment

Hi Flenn,
      I keep my Voodoo2's for a couple of games. Besides Creative Labs are selling refurbished CL 12Mb V2's for $30!http://www.soundblaster.com/specials/voodoo2/
      You would not get much for them now!
      BTW. Thanks for the idea of removing the passthru cable to test my voodoo2's at 1600x1200. It worked.
      Frank.

Comment

Thanks for replies. Frank, if you have BNC inputs to you monitor, you just may want to permanently (Doh!) remove the passthrough. Use a BNC connection for the G400 and the standard D-Sub connection for your V2's. This has helped image quality on 1280 res and above in my system (G200).

[This message has been edited by flenn (edited 09-24-1999).]

Comment

Wait for the turbogl before you decide.I expect that this driver will equal or outperform the minigl .If so , I will dispense with SLI which I use now for HL, Q3 and UT.

------------------
          In Harm's Way
          In Harm's Way

Comment

Hello Flenn,
            Actually, I do have BNC connectors on the back. I just might try that.
            Thanks,
            Frank.

Comment

Working...
            X