g400-16 meg or 32?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• g400-16 meg or 32?

is there much difference between 16&32 versions of the board?Just higher textures or is there a speed difference?I need to get one that has tv out too.
    Recommendations would be appreciated
    thanks ,gobrob

first i got the 16meg version single head....
    i was IMPRESSED with it....then i thought $70 more and i get an extra 32megs...
    i'm stuck with this card now!!!AND IT'S GREAT!!!!all of my games r wonderful....
    nice textures and stuff...
    2d is great 2!!!....the 16 meg is good but the 32 meg is better!.....
    in 3dmax99 the 32meg bumped me up around 150 points....dunno if others got this result but this is on my machine.....
    -------------------------
    hey i'm just a kid so don't bug me at least i know quite a bit on pc's!
    C366@550, bm6, 64megs, 4.3gigs, g400 32, scsi 2920, sb live value.
    -------------------------

Comment

I bought the 16 mb version myself, as I thought the 32 mb was too expensive. From what I have seen in different reviews the 16 and 32 mb are similar in performance up to 1024x768 (32). If you're going to play at higher resolutions, get the 32 mb.

Comment

If you want TV-out, I believe you'll need the dual head version that comes with the S-video/composite adapter. This is what Matrox told me when I posed the same question.

I had thought perhaps a single head could still provide TV-out using the same adapter, but I don't believe this is the case. I switched the adapter to video output 1 on my Dual card and it didn't work. Of course, maybe I should have reduced the resolution or something. In any event, the point's moot for me since I've already bought the Dual head.

Regarding 16 vs 32 meg, Matrox told me that 32 meg handles higher resolutions much better than the 16 meg. In fact, I managed to find a spec sheet somewhere on the Matrox website that outlined the differences between a 32 meg and 16 meg which confirmed what Matrox told me over the phone. I believe it's one of their technical papers in the G400 section. Unforunately, I don't have a memory for URLs.

I'm just speculating here, but I would also suspect that the 32 meg would handle dual display better than the 16 meg as well. As such, I'm wondering if there would be a memory issue for DVD playback as well.

Comment

Working...
        X