Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Give TurboGL to all the ppl without PIII or K7 as well !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give TurboGL to all the ppl without PIII or K7 as well !!!

Just freakn do it(give k6* & PII/cel usrs TurboGL) or ur g400 sales simply drops all the way............ To no great sales !

Lots of gamers out there dont use P III 0r k7's...

And if u dont we all simply buy another chip =)

Plz comment on this further....

Im not joking or trying to comlain, only telling my thought's of how I see the future

The future? Well the future is P3's and Athlons

Comment

yep, and the low-cost future will be a P3-Celeron ...

------------------
      Cheerio,
      Maggi
      Millenium G400 32MB DH
      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
      Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
      be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
      4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
      2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
      OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
      4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
      Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
      Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
      LG BH10LS38
      LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

God, I agree with Ant and Maggi here - we've all been brainwashed my the big M!

------------------
        Cheers,
        Steve

PS: Some or all of the above message may be wrong, or, just as likely, correct. Depends on what mood I'm in. And what you know. ;¬)

Comment

And if u dont we all simply buy another chip =)
          CPU you mean?? Or other vid-card?? or ripp off the G400 CPU and plug a V4 (that's 2xV2, huh Steve? ) on it??

Neat future.

Jorden.
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Ah, Jorden - we (BBs) have been officially told that the g400 chip will unsolder itself after a week of use at 160% using the matox' PDOdrive. So, no need to rip it off

------------------
            Cheers,
            Steve

PS: Some or all of the above message may be wrong, or, just as likely, correct. Depends on what mood I'm in. And what you know. ;¬)

[This message has been edited by SteveC (edited 09-23-1999).]

Comment

Cooling with a car-radiator fan helps alot, Steve Even at 160% OC, no heat...

Jorden, working from his garage....
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

LOL, Jorden !!!

And Stevie, think about SuperGlue ...
                that will keep your melted G400 on the PCB even after the 2nd week @ 160%

------------------
                Cheerio,
                Maggi
                Millenium G400 32MB DH
                Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                LG BH10LS38
                LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

where can I get an upgrade for my mouse, it has no wheel.....

Maggie how much super glue do you own?

Comment

I agree with Bigby.

And i fling boogers at you P3 chauvinists! I wonder how many of you would squeal like babies if the MAX was a UV-SCSI peripheral? I'd be quite happy. Shaddup and support your brothers & sisters in graphix!

:P
                    ~Godzilla:~
                    • ASUS P2B-LS motherboard, BIOS rev.1010;UW/SCSI o/b
                    • Intel P-III 500 mHz; 64 megs PC-100 RAM
                    • Millenium G400MAX AGP w/Powerdesk 5.25
                    • and
                    • Diamond Monster 3D {Voodoo2 12 meg}
                    • NEC E1100 20" monitor
                    • 6.5 gig UW/SCSI HD
                    • SB Live! w/ current driver set {October}
                    • WACOM artpad-II and generic mouse
                    • SCSI scanner, JAZ drive, printer, yada yada
                    • WIN95 OSR2, still going!
                    • 2 dogs, 5 cats, 2 ferrets, iguana, box turtle, various fish, 3 tarantulas

Comment

Mabelrode, if you and Bigby have been reading all threads about this TurboGL really good, you would have know that the rest is following... I say this nicely here, not shouting, not trying to strangle all of you for not reading the posts too carefully or for that matter reading Ant's Rant on his News page http://www.murc.ws/news.html ...

But okay... some people are ignorant and others just don't get it...

Okay, go on and whine some more... hey, I want my old C64 and my XT to be able to use these drivers as well, but do you hear me say anything about that???

Jorden.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 09-23-1999).]
                      Jordâ„¢

Comment

One thing I dont get.
                        Why is Nvidia able to get to Matrox TurboGL speed with a CeleronA WITHOUT SSE/3DNOW!
                        And Matrox suddenly needs SSE to get up to TNT2 OGL speeds..
                        And in Direct3d they match eachother all the way (with Matrox being faster sometimes!) without all this SSE/3DNOW! mumbo jumbo!
                        I agree that P3/Athlon is the future, but this I find a little strange. What happens when Nvdia releases a P3 TurboGL for their TNT2? Obviously it will be 20% faster then when using a Celeron/P2(thus 20% faster then Matrox TurboGL using SSE!
                        Weird stuff going on here...
                        I'm thankful though that Matrox is still committed to getting us the best support ever. Thanks!

------------------
                        Primary system:
                        Celeron 366@550, 256Mb 7ns RAM, Asus P2B rev1.10,10,8Gb Maxtor Diamondmax UDMA + 4,3Gb Fujitsu MPC UDMA HDD, SBLive! + Soundworks FPS1000, Iomega ATAPI Zip drive, Pioneer slot-in 36x SCSI CD-ROM drive, Yamaha CDRW4001t 4xWriter, 56k external modem, Etherlink III ISA NIC, G400 DH 32Mb @ 160/201, Philips 107S 17' Secondary monitor, Iiyama Vision Master Pro450 19' Diamondtron NF Primary monitor.

Secondary system:
                        Celeron 266@448, 128Mb 8ns RAM, Asus P2B, WDCaviar 5,1Gb UDMA HDD, Creative SB32 with 8mb RAM, A-Open 36X UDMA CD-ROM Drive, Winbond 940F NIC, DiamondMM Viper550 16mb @ 115/120, Target generic 17' Monitor.
                        Co-Webmaster of The Matrox Sphere
                        Enter The Sphere:
                        go.to\matroxsphere

Athlon 700, 256Mb 7ns CAS2 RAM, MSI K7-Pro, 10.8Gb Maxtor Diamondmax UDMA, SBLive! 1024 Player + Soundworks FPS1000, Iomega ATAPI Zip drive, Pioneer slot-in 36x SCSI CD-ROM drive, Yamaha CDRW4001t 4xWriter, 56k external modem, Winbond PCI NIC/Etherlink III ISA NIC, {bold}G400 DualHead 32Mb[/bold], Iiyama Vision Master Pro450 19' Diamondtron NF

Comment

*BOL* after I just sent a whining email to Ant for even more news.

Ah. OK, so they haven't ceased developing for us lesser chip owners. My mistake, I apologize. However, this is the first I've read your article, and at last, I've heard some good news.

My Reverse Rant:

Unless folks like myself bytch, developers will NEVER bother improving product. Thank the gods that Matrox does, cuz they're one of few. After being a Diamond user for many years, my research told me Matrox is VERY active in listening, and so, I abandoned Diamond & went with Matrox this time.

I'll tell you one thing, though. As soon as I found this site & read the boards, i was frightened. Very frightened. It seems that my 200+-buck board will not be performing very wellon teh games ~I~ play. And, my experience tended to agree. However, I also found up-2-the-minute drivers to DL. I also found news that seemed to indicate that Matrox would be working with chips my computer does not run on. So, yeah, damn right I reacted. And thank god. Because, as you say, Matrox reads the boards. Well, my particular worries are plastered all over them, and on other sites, too. AND have been sent to Matrox Tech Support. And, behold, Matrox will be developing a full driver for my, and others, still-working computers that have a wonderful graphics board in them.

I am glad Matrox is commited to satisfying their ENTIRE user base, as best as one can. I'm glad you provide a forum for both opinions.

And, I'm glad I bytched as loud as I could.

Cuz, the money I've paid for this board will work for Matrox, every cent of it, whether the board works or not. And, money has no dimished capacity if a product I buy functions less than advertised. Yeah, i could send it back, but, I'd rather it worked. This is a game board, that's what it's advertised as, the top of the line. So, paid for, it should behave as such.

I know the guys who have to develope grafix code can't do it intantly. I appreciate their work, cuz gods know ~I~ couldn't do it, ever. Plus, they have to deal with the fact that every damn game developer tweaks OGL and Glide and all that other crap so far from the next game or the original code, pretty much each game is its own monster, and we expect their board to run them all. Well, if Matrox keeps up the good work, i know one day I'll DL a driver that'll make Tribes 2 look spectacular, & I look forward to that day.

Gods bless Matrox
                          Gods bless this forum
                          Gods bless me, for protecting my investment.
                          ~Godzilla:~
                          • ASUS P2B-LS motherboard, BIOS rev.1010;UW/SCSI o/b
                          • Intel P-III 500 mHz; 64 megs PC-100 RAM
                          • Millenium G400MAX AGP w/Powerdesk 5.25
                          • and
                          • Diamond Monster 3D {Voodoo2 12 meg}
                          • NEC E1100 20" monitor
                          • 6.5 gig UW/SCSI HD
                          • SB Live! w/ current driver set {October}
                          • WACOM artpad-II and generic mouse
                          • SCSI scanner, JAZ drive, printer, yada yada
                          • WIN95 OSR2, still going!
                          • 2 dogs, 5 cats, 2 ferrets, iguana, box turtle, various fish, 3 tarantulas

Comment

Does the TurboGL suffer from turbo lag? Why don't they make a fully blown version - maybe call it the "SuperchargedGL," or something.

Bill

------------------
                            People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...
                            People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...

Comment

I just feel kind of sad about this whole topic... I just upgraded from a G200 to a G400 earlier this week and lost D3D acceleration in Windows 2000. But hey, it's beta after all. Hopefully Matrox will release a beta driver ASAP.

But then RIGHT after upgrading to the G400 (cause I was feeling left out with my G200) I find out about this TurboGL driver. Normally I'd applaud such an effort to use advanced instruction sets to increase gaming performance. But the problem is, the normal ICD's performance is still sub-par. And the folks who need driver optimization the most are excluded from this! My PII/400 is hardly obsolete.

To make an analogy, the rich get substantially richer while the middle-class and poor continue to suffer. Imagine the government cutting taxes in half for the rich folks and doing nothing for the rest of us. They could at least say "don't worry, we're going to help you out, it'll just take a bit longer!" This situation isn't quite that dramatic, but few analogies are perfect...

So, what can us gamers without SSE or 3DNow! do about this?

1) Wait and hope that Matrox will help us out. All we want are drivers that can at least come close to using the hardware to its full potential. Clearly that is not happening yet.

2) Shell out some bucks and get a new CPU and motherboard. Those Athlons are looking pretty attractive... But hey, what about the money I just spent on a top-of-the-line G400[MAX]?

3) Get another 3D accelerator whose drivers are more mature wrt gaming.. I'm not sure why, but I stay loyal to Matrox. Their top-quality hardware somehow manages to shine through these ugly driver issues.

I think I'll just wait. I mean, hey, I waited over a year for the OpenGL ICD for my G200. Things can only get better, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X