UT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UT

Wait until you guys play this game! It is great! I kept my V2/12 for this game and for tribes. I will go one record right here and say that this game will run on Glide much better that D3D. Forget OpenGL it will suck!
    Cant wait to frag your butts online!
    The game is not "better" than Q3, just different.

------------------
    PIII-450, 128 HDSRAM, Asus P3BF, G400/32, SBLive!, Nokia 447Xi 17",

Glideunderground states UT3dfx can run with glide wrappers (MGlide). Anyone can confirm that?

Comment

I sure hope you are wrong and the D3D will be on par with the Glide performance. My understanding is that UT is a different engine than Unreal so the D3D performance should be better. UT plays faster than Unreal and my fps seem quite high - higher than Unreal for sure. Looks like we have a winner here. In fact I'll go out on a limb and say it kicks Q3 Test's ass. It's a hell of a lot more fun, better gameplay and better graphics. UT just may unseat Q3 in multiplayer if the on-line multiplayer code is even half-way respectable.
      Vanilla G400 DH (5.25 and beta ICD), Celeron 366 o/c 550 mhz, BE6, 128 megs cas2 PC100, IBM 22 gig 66 udma, SB Live, Kenwood 52x, Viewsonic P810, Win98SE

Comment

To my knowledge Unreal Tournament IS based in the original Unreal engine, with modifications.
        Unreal Tournament is not Unreal 2. UT still uses the core Unreal engine which has been highly modified since the release of the original Unreal
        from Thresh´s Firingsquad

So I am expecting it to be in some way like it´s predecessor: It flies in glide, acceptable but with less features in D3D and an OpenGL nightmare. All of this in a lesser extent than Unreal (countless patches later D3D still sucks compared with the glide implementation, and it´s heavily optimized for one card drivers *hint*TNT*hint*)

But maybe I´m wrong, and I would be happy if I am. I sure like Unreal, still play the original game and IMO there still isn´t a FPS that can compete in visuals with it.

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 09-18-1999).]

Comment

LAMFDTK, you say you kept the V2 for this and Tribes...I take it Tribes needs it too? See my post above, I can't get it to work with my G400 (big surprise, only thing that does work well is Quake 2).

------------------
          Cel 266@448 on Asus P2b (1009), 128MB, OEM G400/16, Quantum Obsidian S12, Fujitsu 5.25gb, MX300, Dlink 530, Grey Cat, Orange Cat (still MIA)
          --
          Reports of Sig5.2x being 40% more interesting than Sig5.13 were greatly exaggerated...

Games Box
          --------------
          Windows 2000Pro, ASUS A7Pro, Duron 750@950, 192MB Micron PC133, OEM Radeon DDR, 15gb Quantum Fireball+ LM, Fujitsu 5.25gb, Pioneer 32x slot load CDROM, SB Live! Value, LinkSys LNE100, Altec Lansing ACS45.2, Samsung Syncmaster 955DF, Sycom 300va UPS

Video Box
          ------
          Windows 2000Pro, PIII700 on ASUS CUBX, 256mb Micron PC133, Vanilla G400/32 (PD5.14), Hauppage WinTV-DBX, LinkSys LNE100, 8.4gb Maxtor HD, 40gb 7200 Western Digital, Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer 32x SCSI Slot load CDROM, Pioneer 10x Slot load DVD, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Panasonic Panasync S70

Feline Tech Support
          -------------
          Jinx the Grey Thundercat, Mischa (Shilsner?)(still MIA)

...currently working on the world's first C64 based parallel computing project

Comment

>So I am expecting it to be in some way like >it´s predecessor: It flies in glide, >acceptable but with less features in D3D

I just read a quote from one of the UT developers on a web page yesterday (maybe Tim Sweeny - if I find it again I'll post it here) where he said they are waiting for DirectX 7 to be released so they can include it with the D3D UT demo. One of the reasons is that that there will be some *additional* features in the D3D version (with DX7) that aren't available in Glide! That's good news.
            I think the engine must be very highly from the Unreal core. It flies.
            Vanilla G400 DH (5.25 and beta ICD), Celeron 366 o/c 550 mhz, BE6, 128 megs cas2 PC100, IBM 22 gig 66 udma, SB Live, Kenwood 52x, Viewsonic P810, Win98SE

Comment

Tribes OpenGl was produced with Nvida and Dynamix. Guess what cards work with Tribes? The only card that works with Tribes is Nvidia. Thats why it has a selection for TNT and TNT2 right on the menu. I "hear" that every other card no matter what driver they have, suck with Tribes in OGL. I don't own alot plethora of cards...so I cant say for sure.

As for Unreal vs. UT ... I have a 800 meg map folder for Unreal that should be proof that I have have spent some time with that game... UT looks and plays just like Unreal. Different interface and weapons etc. But it "looks" and plays the same to me. I can just tell it will be the same dog in other apps other than Glide.Can't prove it. 3dfx is all over this game.... This is there Holy Grail for Glide. Wait... maybe I'm Dead wrong
              but I would bet cash that I'm not... It would take Tim Sweeney 5 years to produce another engine. And the Unreal engine is a cash cow for these guys in the licence fees, Its the same engine.

Like that line?..."I can just tell" heheh what a dick..

------------------
              PIII-450, 128 HDSRAM, Asus P3BF, G400/32, SBLive!, Nokia 447Xi 17",

Comment

Yeah, yeah. That "Unreal Tournment Demo sponsored by 3dfx" screen that pops up when lauching the demo can´t be a good sign.
                And why the hell I must have a 3dfx card (so they say) to play it in software rendering? I had to trick the thing by creating a glide2x.dll file in /windows/system.
                The software rendering has exactly the same looks than the unreal version. Oh, and the D3D driver is there. If you copy d3ddrv.int from your unreal folder to UT folder you get the option to select d3d driver in card detection. But it won´t run, it´ll give an error message "D3D isn´t supported in this demo version" or something like that.

Come on, 3dfx is sponsoring them and the D3D render will be better than glide? I don´t believe it. But let´s wait for the d3d support - and it better happen in a patch form, because I am not downloading it again.

Oh, and about wrappers: Mglide will run, but all the textures are missing. Xgl200 runs fairly well, but it´s slower and uglier that software rendering, so there isn´t much of a point in using them.

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 09-19-1999).]

Comment

I didn't mean to imply that I think D3D is going to perform *better* than Glide in UT - just that there will apparently be some D3D features not available in Glide which makes me optimistic that D3D will not be feature short in comparison to Glide. I think there is a very strong possibility that there will be a better D3D implementation in UT than in Unreal.

Yes, I'm being optimistic in hoping that D3D will perform as well as Glide does. My thinking is that when Unreal was being developed and released 3dfx was clearly the dominant 3d card. UT was developed knowing full well that it isn't the case anymore, which gives me hope.

The "sponsored by 3dfx" thing is not necessarily a bad sign (although I guess it could be). There was a financial relationship already in place - coupons for UT were included with some V3's - so a financial partner got the benefit of getting a demo out first.

One thing I was very suprised by is the quality of the graphics in UT with a V2. The graphics were much clearer and sharper than in Unreal with a V2. UT also seems to play quite a bit faster than Unreal.

I tried UT software mode with the g400 - it completely blows. It's not even worth bothering with but it was kind of fun to hack the demo. :-)

Comment

Just as a side note if anybody cares, UT will run on a G400 with a Glide wrapper. Xglide is a bit on the pokey side though, and lots of textures are screwed.

Totally unplayable, but what the well.

Comment

Back in the 220 unreal days, there was support for 8-bit stencil buffering to do volumetric shadows. I think creative labs offered this to it's TNT/TNT2 owners. Epic/Sweeny didn't ever release a real version that suppors this. He felt it was buggy or something, I can't remember. Either way, we might see this feature in the UT engine.... something the g400 is supposed to handle. DX7 has better texture management, so things should run smoother using higher detail.

Btw, there are 3dfx texture logos and signs all over the UT demo levels.... how cute.

Comment

I'm running it in glide mode with the Unified Glide wrapper, the only problem is that it only runs in a window. Proformace is good - about as fast as the Voodoo 2 in my other machine. I exect this to go up a lot with D3D, I did not buy a G400 MAX to get Voodoo 2 proformance!

No, visual probs of note. It looks great in 32-bit color! (Thou why they would include this when in glide mode is beyond me.)

Right now the bots make UT better than quake 3. IMHO UT best feature is it's teamplay. In other word if you like tribes UT for you; if you like straight death match quake, when quake 3 is probably better.

Elvon

P.S. Why not play both of them, argueing which one is better wastes valible playing time! ;-)

Comment

Junior Member?!

Do I have to get my Wood craft badge before I'm promoted? - (supposedly a humourous reference to Scouts)

Anyway...
                          UT should get better when the frame rate improves and the sniper rifle is included. I'm one of those sad individuals who don't know what to do I can't hide somewhere and snipe. Once the sniper rifle is included my estimation of the game, and my frags, will probably improve.

Elvon

Comment

Working...
                          X