Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Descent3 and bump mapping!?!?!?

OK -

I turned it on, and the ships & aliens look really cool and all, but is that it!?!?!? Seems like all the walls and everything else could be B-mapped as well.

Maybe I'm just not far enough in the game. Maybe there's some better & bigger and therefore, more B-mapped aliens.... Please tell me that there's more B-mapping than what I'm seeing.

AFAIK, that is it. You can't expect a lot from games which just seemed to have been 'patched' to enable some bump mapping. You'll see more when the game has been designed with bump mapping bump mapped onto the programmer's forehead from day one.

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

PS: Some or all of the above message may be wrong, or, just as likely, correct. Depends on what mood I'm in. And what you know. ;¬)

Comment

Well, like he said, with the inclusion of the exterior environments once you get outside.(edit that umm...thats a big negative. I just tried it without bmping and the exterior was just the same! Sorry dude below)
      You can check out Matroxs' web site for some pics of the bump mapping used in the game in their game department.
      I have a 500Mhz system and have been playing the game with everything turned up (at 1600x1200x32) to see the full potential of the visuals. I was quite impressed and have found the frame rate acceptable playing given such quality graphics. But when I invoked the cheat to show framerates (type 'framelength' while playing) I was actually shocked that I was playing at around 20-30fps....! The visuals are just too hard to give up I guess.

Frank.

[This message has been edited by Frank (edited 09-21-1999).]

Comment

Frank-

What game are you talking about???? I would like to see a game that really pushes my hardware to the limits, bumpmapping and all.

Comment

well what do u expect from a 900kb patch?...
          (i dunno if there's more that you have 2 download).....

------------------
          -------------------------
          hey i'm just a kid so don't bug me at least i know quite a bit on pc's!
          C366@550, bm6, 64megs, 4.3gigs, g400 32, scsi 2920, sb live value.
          hey i'm just a kid so don't bug me at least i know quite a bit on pc's!
          C366@550, bm6, 64megs, 4.3gigs, g400 32, scsi 2920, sb live value.

Comment

Working...
          X