Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal

Hi.
    Unreal Performance doesn´t look that good on my system (P-II 350@392, 160 MBRam, SBLive, G400 32MB) under D3D. How can I increase performance? -Why doesn´t the OpenGL-mode run properly with the betaopengl from Matrox?
    Performance in Q2 and Q3 is really satisfying.
    HalfLife also looks fine.
    Unreal and the Unreal-addon havw some graphical errors in D3D (some flickering textures, some clipping errors). Any idea how to fix that?
    -And how (although I don´t want to) do I run those games in 16-bit? -Do I have to switch my desktop to 16-bit, or what?

THX in regards!

Greetings,...
    TDI
    Salut,...
    TDI

Oh, and BTW:
    The bullets in Unreal have that damn rainbowcolours.
    The groundtextures from the Unreal-addon are alwas "moving" around

ANY idea?
    Salut,...
    TDI

Comment

The OGL implementation in Unreal sux BIG time ...

Seriously, you should stick with D3D until the bring out another update.

------------------
      Cheerio,
      Maggi
      Millenium G400 32MB DH
      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
      Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
      be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
      4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
      2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
      OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
      4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
      Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
      Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
      LG BH10LS38
      LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Well, I'm using a PII-300 with only 96MB RAM, SBLive! Value and G400 32 MB, but I can run Unreal at 1024 by
        768 in 32-bit colour at a consistent 20fps. That's good enough. Stick with D3D, don't use OpenGL (it doesn't
        even work with me). Make sure you have the 225f beta patch for Unreal.

Comment

Thx!
          jsut need to wait.
          Maybe DX7 will improve things a little...
          Salut,...
          TDI

Comment

DX7 won't do flue. It's the game's 3D hardware acceleration implementation that's sloppy. Wait and hope the next update will bring more FPS. I won't bet on to much FPS though... the games engine was made long before anyone had ever heard about the terms "3d hardware accelleration" and "3dfx".

BTW, the beta ICD at matrox driver download page is said to be optimized for several games, including Unreal. Give it a try

Comment

Tempted by this thread, and because I´ve installed DX7 yesterday (4.07.00.700), I benchmarked Unreal and the scores went really up! Now, i am assuming this is because DX7, I have PD 5.25 and I still didn´t have benchmark Unreal with those drivers. But I am assuming they are more or less the same as 5.21.

these are the combinations:

5.13+Dx6.1/5.21+Dx6.1/5.25+Dx7.0, Unreal 225, G400 32 Mb @ 150/200, Celeron 450

1024x768x32, all settings on
              24.1/24.9/28.1

640x480x16, all on except trilinear and vertex lightning
              36.8/42.6/45.3

G400 is getting better every day on...

Oh, and Dx7.0 gives my more 1-2fps in Quake2 in every resolution (OpenGL game, I know, but it uses directdraw)

The rest of my games (at least the ones I cared to look) are the same.

If any of you has Dx7, please take a look at Unreal, and see if your results are consistent with mine.

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 09-17-1999).]

Comment

TDI,
                The 'ground moving' is a problem with the game and for me only happened in certain areas.It also did it on my tnt.I don't think it's a g400 problem.

Comment

THX again.

So the "ground movement" is quite common
                  I´m curious about Unreal Tournament.
                  AFAIK it will also support DX7. The question is, how good the D3D-support will be implemented (or if the OpenGL-support will deliver some usefull fps

Greetz,...
                  TDI
                  Salut,...
                  TDI

Comment

I think we can expect it to perform at the same level as the current d3d unreal implementation. They just released a demo and guess what: glide only!! Oh, my god, I thought I was back again in 1997.

Comment

hmmmm... I thought my fps were low but:

Running Unreal patch225, and DX7, all settings at MAX(why else by a Max if not for the eye-candy, ey lads), I've got the following stats for the flyby timedemo 1:

1024/32bit 38fps
                      1158/32bit 32fps
                      1280/32bit 26fps

This is with the Max clocked somewhere around 170/230 through MGATweak at the following specs: Fo=345, div.=2/1.5/2. Sgram tweaked at 3,1,3,9,3,1,fast,1,1,1,1.4,1.4,2884.
                      My system is as follows: P2-300 at 464, WD expert 7200/66, G400Max(DUH), Aureal SuperQuad, Toshiba sd-m 1212 6th gen. dvd, no name no good cheap ass k56 modem.

Anyone been tweaking with either MGATweak or Matrox tweak tool lemme know your specs and benchmarks... I want to get more from my MAX!!!
                      "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -"The Guide"by D. Adams)

Comment

Got the Unreal Tournament demo yesterday.
                        God, damn it; i´ve seen it running smoothly on a voodooII non SLI, nice-looking, no graohical errors etc.
                        And on my G40032DH the D3D-support had problems with transparent textures, the OpenGL-support (it really IS better then in Unreal) looked quite nice, except for disapearing textures and low fps as soon as an enemy showed up.
                        Let´s wait and see...
                        Oh, there are still that nice rainbow colours in D3D
                        Salut,...
                        TDI

Comment

I'm using g400tweak and from what I've seen enabling palletized textures in it as well as triple buffering causes problems with unreal. The rainbow shells is one of the symptoms. I think unreal supports these features via the engine and not the d3d driver. I don't notice any speed increases with either of them enabled anyway. Disabling vsync seems to help the most.

As far as opengl is concerned... it was never meant for unreal. Opengl in unreal is there for people who are desperate to not play software mode or to prove a point. Id software (and clones) is the only one who can make a game run well in opengl, imo.

[This message has been edited by absalom (edited 09-19-1999).]

[This message has been edited by absalom (edited 09-20-1999).]

Comment

Enabling palettized textures in the registry as well as enabling it in unreal causes the rainbow texures effect. If you disable one of them everything works fine. The flickering/clipping problem is rare and is an unreal d3d problem... there are no immediate fixes. I don't think unreal supports 32-bit zbuffering anyway, which might have solve this problem.

[This message has been edited by absalom (edited 09-19-1999).]

Comment

TDI,

don't forget that Unreal was written in Glide and later (somewhat) ported to D3D and OGL ... hance Glide will always run faster unless they really optimize the other APIs.

------------------
                              Cheerio,
                              Maggi
                              Millenium G400 32MB DH
                              Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                              Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                              be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                              4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                              2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                              OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                              4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                              Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                              Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                              LG BH10LS38
                              LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Working...
                              X