Xwing Alliance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xwing Alliance

When I play Xwing Alliance, I get weird shifting textures. This can be seen when you are flying something like the Millenium Falcon. The textures on the bottom right of the cockpit start to shift everytime I turn. Can also be seen on the hull of a Calamari Cruiser. Anyone else having this problem? Never had this problem with my old Banshee card.

Never seen that. Had a prob with rainbow stuff that a board bois updt fixed, but all is bliss as far as the rest goes.

------------------
    AssuP2B ,300a at 337, 128megs PC100, G40032megSH, Yamaha PCI sound,2 small HD's, 42X Sony CDrom and 98SE w/shutdown patch, PD 5.25 w/beta ICD

AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Kooguy,
      I had similar problems, but upgrading to Matrox 5.13 solved them. I also had lockups occasionally, but turning off 32 bit z buffering helped but did not eliminate them. Lucas Arts apparently doesn't use 32 bit color depths and doesn't use z buffering. They also don't support 3D-Now. They make great games, but their technology is definitely second rate and they are still the most expensive games available. George lines his pockets once again.

RAB

[This message has been edited by RAB (edited 09-14-1999).]
      AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

You mean you experienced the moving textures in the cockpit when flying the Falcon too? I used 5.13 all the way up to 5.25 which is what I am currently using and I still get the problem. 5.25 is with a fresh install of Win 98 SE too. How is the performance for you? I play in 1024 and performance is worst than my old Banshee card as mentioned above. Mip Mapping is turned on high. 3D sound is off. Every video option is turned to highest.

This is weird. The only game I really get good framerates in is Expendable. Other games like TA:K, NFS:HS, I get not so good framrates.

System Specs:
        Celeron OC to 464
        Abit Bh6 mobo
        G400 MAX 32 megs
        128 megs Micron PC100 ram
        SB Live! Value

Comment

I had the strange flashing textures right after I loaded Win98 SE. (Well, really its my son that plays it more than I do.) I had problems with the SE upgrade and had to delete my old Windows directory. When I reloaded Windows, it substituted an old G200 driver which had the flashing textures. I didn't realize that Win98SE had put in old G200 drivers for several days and when I finally figured it out and put in 5.13 (now up to 5.21) everything in XWing was fine.

I later defragged my hard drive and now its locking up occassionally. I'll have to try reinstalling Xwing to see if this will fix the lock ups. Before I defragged, I had lock ups, but turning off z buffering stopped the locks. This hasn't helped since the defrag.

The only problem I'm having is occasional slow frame rates which causes some jumpiness. This only happens every three or four minutes and doesn't stop the game from working once the frame buffers catch up which generally is only about half a second - just long enough to notice the frames skip. But everything seems to be working properly in the game.

I'm using an AMD K6-2 350 OC'ed to 400 and a G200 8meg. If my system will run it, yours should have no problems. I think I also installed the latest game patch from the Lucas Arts web site. You might try that too, but it doesn't say its for texture problems.

Good luck
          RAB
          AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Well, the G400 was not tested with Xwing Alliance so that might be the problem. Did you ever play NFS:HS? If that runs fine for you then same problem with me. Seems like the G400 doesn't run too well on some games that aren't tested with it. With the D3D speed of the G400, I would think that it would get 60 fps with these games.

Also, the newest patch doesn't correct any exture problems. The only thing it does for me is disabling the second joystick for me which I always use to play the game. Hope things look better in future driver releases.

Comment

Working...
            X