Rom, Do you SiN??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rom, Do you SiN??

After full Win98 re-install as well as a full SiN re-install patched up to 1.06, I am still having sound problems. I've tried all the permutations of hi/low quality, 3D off/on, etc. to no avail.

Can you help with this one?

------------------
    PII-350, 128 PC-100, G200 (sgram), DXR-2 DVD, SB128, Soundworks
    Never eat anything bigger than your head.

Here are some sin console commands you can try:

s_mixahead ".3" // larger values will delay the sound but may help sound stuttering/troubleshooting.

s_primary "0" // 1 will force primary directsound buffering. 0 will try to use secondary.

set s_use3dsound "0" // 0 will utilize normal 2d sound engine (gives you more framerate too)

set cd_nocd "1" // 1 prevents sin trying to use your cd for music.

after setting these values type "snd_restart" at the console to re-initialize the sound engine in sin.

this is a long shot but you may want to try this:

Click on the multimedia icon in your windows control panel. You should see a playback and record properties for your sound card. Click on the advanced properties button under the playback heading. Now click on the tab labeled performance. Move the hardware acceleration slider all the way left so that you will have none whatsoever. Now click ok to close this property page. Your sound card will now not offer any directsound acceleration which may/may not help with some troubleshooting. Now run sin and see if things have changed.

If your sound is still clipped you can try re-installing some things, namely directx (there are many versions of DX you can try - dx5, dx6, dx6.1). Make sure you have your sound cards latest drivers as always. I don't think your problem is g200 related unless you actually provide proof otherwise. It's also VERY important that you make sure the soundcard isn't sharing any irq's or resources with other devices in windows. I have an ancient Sound Blaster isa AWE32 as well as a modern day pci sound card. Both play sin fine.

Comment

I think I mentioned this in an earlier post but I did have some trouble with sin's sound when I first installed it. But this was over a month ago. For the life of me, I can't remember what I did to fix it. After looking at your system specs and comparing it to mine, I noticed something interesting as well as strange. I also have a creative dxr2. On top of that my early problems with sin sound seem to have disappeared about the time when I decided to remove it from my system. You may want to try that as a last ditch effort. It makes no sense that something like an mpeg decoder card would cause problems in sin but I've seen even stranger things than that. Nothings impossible....

[This message has been edited by absalom (edited 09-11-1999).]

Comment

Guess who hadn't updated his SB 128 drivers after his re-install?

SiN works beautifully, and I feel like a ninny.

Thanks for the help.
        Never eat anything bigger than your head.

Comment

Working...
        X