Expendable crashing to desktop - SOLVED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expendable crashing to desktop - SOLVED

I finally figured out why expendable was crashing out all the time. After my last motherboard bios update, the setting to shadow video bios to ram was activated. I turned it back off, and bingo, expendable works again.

So if someone is really compiling a g400 FAQ out there, make sure to include turning off the bios shadow.

Now if only it was a good game to start with

------------------
    Andrew Gallagher - andrew@agallagher.com
    Asus P2B-S (1010), PII-350 (3.5x100MHz), 64MB PC100, 12.7GB Quantum Fireball EX ATA-33, 2x2.1GB Quantum Atlas I UWSCSI, Toshiba 6201 SCSI CD, Yamaha CRW4416S SCSI CD-RW, WangDAT SCSI, MillG400 32MB DH w/ 5ns RAM(5.13 Divers/1.5 Bios/300MHz SCLK), SBLive! Retail (LiveWare2.1), JVC RX884V Dolby Digital Receiver@500W, Dell 17" (first head), ProScan 27" NTSC TV (second head), Win98SE, BeOS 4.5.1, RedHat 6.0, NT4SP5
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

up!
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Why? (should the BIOS cacheing be turned off)

bert
      G400 32 D/H, PIII650@840, ABIT-BE6II, MX300

Comment

I had it off before, which explains why expendable worked the first time I tried it. After a BIOS update on my mobo, I forgot to turn it off again.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Because it makes no difference in speed and only can cause trouble like the thread title.

------------------
          PIII@560, G200 GCLK@104, 22" monitor.

Comment

Holy BIOS options Batman! Turn off all caching?

I wish I had seen that somewhere earlier.

------------------
            Cel 266@448 on Asus P2b (1009), 128MB, OEM G400/16, Quantum Obsidian S12, Fujitsu 5.25gb, MX300, Dlink 530, Grey Cat, Orange Cat (still MIA)

Games Box
            --------------
            Windows 2000Pro, ASUS A7Pro, Duron 750@950, 192MB Micron PC133, OEM Radeon DDR, 15gb Quantum Fireball+ LM, Fujitsu 5.25gb, Pioneer 32x slot load CDROM, SB Live! Value, LinkSys LNE100, Altec Lansing ACS45.2, Samsung Syncmaster 955DF, Sycom 300va UPS

Video Box
            ------
            Windows 2000Pro, PIII700 on ASUS CUBX, 256mb Micron PC133, Vanilla G400/32 (PD5.14), Hauppage WinTV-DBX, LinkSys LNE100, 8.4gb Maxtor HD, 40gb 7200 Western Digital, Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer 32x SCSI Slot load CDROM, Pioneer 10x Slot load DVD, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Panasonic Panasync S70

Feline Tech Support
            -------------
            Jinx the Grey Thundercat, Mischa (Shilsner?)(still MIA)

...currently working on the world's first C64 based parallel computing project

Comment

Why was it on in the first place? You should not only turn of all shadowing, but also all caching. Well except cpu caching of course.

Comment

Thats news to me, since most motherboard manuals have wording in effect to the contrary. Wouldn't surprise me though, because they always worry about backward compatibility. I don't care if some god-ancient POS isa videocard works on my motherboard though. I'll try it (re: bdf error)

Hopefully when 820/810e come out, isa really DOES disappear off the boar completely. (You listening abit and asus?!) I've purged my motherboard slots already.

Comment

The BDF error means you're trying to launch the game without the cd in the drive.

Comment

Working...
                  X