Anyone still play quakeGL out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone still play quakeGL out there?

I'm having trouble playing quakeGL because it is so damn dark. Does anyone know how to change this annoying feature of quakeGL?? I'm using the G400 MAX w/ a Trinitron 17" 200ES.

Thanks!
    neo

Look for a program called IDGAMMA. I think it's available on the id homepage, but if not, check out bluesnews or some other quake page.
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Hi Agallag. I would have said the same thing, but recent experiences have told me that it doesn't appear to help with Matrox's drivers. That's not to say that I knew what I was doing well enough that I may not have caused the problem myself (incompetence? Maybe, but I hope not). If I read the instructions properly (I got the IDGamma for Windows, BTW) it should work with not only Quake, but also Quake II. In fact, that's the main reason I d/l'ed it. I was hoping to lighten up a couple of the MP maps I've played recently, since I have a hard time seeing other players in some parts because it's so dark. When I tried playing with the settings in IDGamma, and then used the Save Settings, then Launch Game option, I saw no difference in the appearance of the game. It actually got quite annoying.

I do have a question for anyone, if you've successfully used this utility before, with or without a Matrox card. Do you need to point the program at each specific Q2 map directory (Action, etc.) to get the changes applied to that specific set of MODs? In any case, It'd be great to hear a little more detail about setting up and using this utility properly, just so that I can verify that I did or did not do it properly the first time around.

------------------
      Ace
      "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
      Gainward Ti4600
      AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

About the darkness: I find that scooting the Gamma up in the Matrox Display App works pretty well. You just have to turn it back down after playing your game, or your desktop will look washed out.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I have the same problem myself with GLquake. I use powerstrip only to brighten the gamma for Glquake, GLQuakeworld, and Quake2. Seems the new v4.22 for NT fixed the gamma for Q3test. There's no gamma adjustment level with the NT drivers but I thought there was one for Win9x? Any ways if there isn't try powerstrip for the gamma problems. Hopefully in the future Matrox will include some kind of gamma adjustment for NT.
          Asus P2B-DS (v1010) Dual P2 450, 128 MB Corsair PC100 Cas2, Seagate 9.1 Gig Cheetah 39102LW LVD, G200 8 MB SGRAM, SB 128 PCI, Hollywood Plus DVD Decoder, 3Com 905B-TX, Sony 5x DVD, Yamaha CRW 4216. Samsung SH2204 4 Port 10/100 Hub. Altec Lansing ADA 305 Speakers, Running NT4 Server Enterprise w/ SP5.

Asus P3B-F (bios v1003A) P3 500 O/C 500x120 600 MHz. 128 MB Corsair PC133. IBM 18 gig GXP, G400 Max, SB Live, 3com 905B-TX, Sony 5x DVD, Klipsch Pro Media v2 400 Speakers. Running Win98 SE.

Comment

The one for win95 did not help me ether
            Idgamma for DOS works well for me
            You can find it at the following address http://d128.com/idgamma/

you have to download the IDGAMMA.ZIP file

Comment

Do any of you guys have a problem with rainbow textures?
              I know there was talk of it with version 4 of powerdesk and the beta OpenGL driver, but that worked fine for me. It is only since I installed version 5 of powerdesk that the problem occurs. I have even tried a clean install of Windows98 SE but I still get the same problem.
              As far as I am aware I have the lastest drivers and bios.
              Thanks for any help.

Comment

Yep, quake 1 is a rainbowy as a damn disco with 5.21. I find that it is most prevcalent around water, that is weird. I hope that matrox can fix this in thre next driver release!

-neo

Comment

I was irked by the rainbow effect also, and decided to track it down. I'm pretty sure that setting "gl_flashblend 1". It changes dynamic lighting to the default, incorrect, ball of light, as opposed to the lighting used in dos quake or winquake. You can see this very prominently in demo2 where you get to the water. The walls in the back will look fine and then turn rainbowy after the shotgun is fired. This is clearly a driver issue with Matrox. Any word on if this happened with the d3d_wrapper as well?

Comment

No extra info or help about the rainbow effect. Just wanted to say thank, Over_kill, for the tip. I'll give the DOS IDGamma utility a try. Might make my Quaking and Action Quaking a lot more enjoyable. Nothing sucks quite so bad as being fragged by someone only because you didn't know they were standing right in front of you the whole time.

------------------
                    Ace
                    "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                    Gainward Ti4600
                    AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

The rainbow effect came with ICDb2. In ICDb1 it wasn't there, so they broke something in beta2. I have ranted about it for a while in these forums (since ICDb2) and they still haven't fixed it in 5.x series of PD. Maybe the PD5.3x will fix it, but I wouldn't raise hopes for it. For now, the only solution to get the rainbows vanish is to disable dynamic lighting by writing "r_dynamic 0" command to console or in autoexec.cfg. And to get some idea of lights type "gl_flashblend 1".

-Tumu, to fix or not to fix?

------------------
                      Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset (bios v3.3),
                      64MB PC100 RAM, G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM (not overclocked, a fan included, bios v2.3),
                      PD5.21, SB16 Value, 3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES,
                      Win95OSR2.1 finnish
                      Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset (bios v3.4),
                      64MB PC100 RAM, nVidia TNT2 32M (was G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM), SB Live! Value LW3.1, 3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES, HP8210i
                      Win98 finnish

Comment

Working...
                      X