Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow is my system really FUBAR!

Hey there.
    I tried running Unreal for the first time.
    Clean install ( I thought ).
    My system hangs up with a window thats all white showing the size 513x420 or something like that. Then Win95 hangs up. Tried to restart, but then scandisk stops working and says "out of memory" before it finishes scanning. I have 384 MB PC100. Can't imagine it running out. Then it says that I can restart my system now, or shut down ( in a black and white DOS looking screen ) then the whole process starts over.

Anyone know how to disable scandisk or bypass it? It's to fast to try to "exit".
    I have a dual boot machine with NT4, and I read somewhere that you could change a certain file to a notepad doc, change scandisk to "0" and that would work. But I cant find that info anymore. Anyone know which file to change?

Last question. What the hell happened to Unreal? I have latest drivers, bios, etc.
    Dual PIII 550
    Asus P2B D (1010)
    Mill g200 16
    and all of the other standard stuff.

Thanks for any help.

It's not the amount of main memory that's out, it's the basic memory, the first 1 Mb that DOS uses that's out... Scandisk needs 614k minimal to work (I know, big thing), but when you're loading real-time drivers as cd-rom drivers and such, they take the first 1Mb to store in.

To overcome this, add to your config.sys the following lines, if they're not there allready:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\HIMEM.SYS
    DOS=HIGH

They should be at the start of the config.sys

BTW: About games crashing and killing Windows, been there, done that, errr, RMA'ed my G400 for it killed Win98 all the time, even on a fresh format and install and without any PD... now what's weirder?? lol

If you have any other problems, call me.
    (It might be that your Himem.sys is in the windows directory, so you might try DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS)

Jorden.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

btw, the file to change is msdos.sys or io.sys. they're both hidden and write-disabled on the harddrive. Otherwise check the scandisk.ini

J.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

I have tried what you suggested. But the problem is still there. I need to find out how to bypass scandisk.

Comment

In c:\msdos.sys, change autoscan=1 to autoscan=0.

If it's not there already, it goes under [options]

[This message has been edited by agallag (edited 09-08-1999).]
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I HATE to say this, but I think it is time for a backup, fdisk and format. Use your second partition or second HD to store all your self-extracting zip file backups. I have had to do this alot. It sucks. But your system will totally rock once your done. It is one of the most common things I do as a tech. Customers just screw their systems up beyond belief! Talk about FUBAR! As for Unreal, I would wait for the new patch. Shouldn't be long. hehe...But by the time you do all ya gotta with settings, personalization and such, it will be ready. Hope to see you up again soon. Oh, and if you know about this already, sorry. I am just helping. Most people that are here know more than me. But I feel the need to help when I can.

------------------
            AssuP2B ,300a at 337, 128megs PC100, G40032megSH, Yamaha PCI sound,2 small HD's, 42X Sony CDrom and 98SE w/shutdown patch, PD 5.13

AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Thanks Agallag that was it!
              Everything is working like a charm now.
              Uninstalled and re-installed Unreal.
              Works great.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Comment

Cool...
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                X