Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expendable crashes to desktop

Ok, I haven't had much luck with drakan
    but I thought the version of expendable that shipped with the card should work just fine.
    I installed it, clicked on play and it crashed to the desktop....again and again.It would not play at all.
    Am I missing some kind of secret ritual?
    If I am would somebody please tell me what it is so I can join the ever shrinking club
    of happy matrox owners.

p2 450, 192 ram,aureal sound card,5.13 drivers

Same problem for me. It is listed in the FAQ on RAGEs site but they say that they still don't have a clue about the problem. Seems to have something to do with very highend machines with PIII CPUs, lots of RAM or something like that...
    Kay

Comment

I was having the same problem with Expendable, with it crashing back to the desktop and sometimes getting the OUT_OF_VIDEO_MEMORY error, but I finally got it fixed. I had to reinstall Win98 to get it to work, but it runs now.

Just as a few suggestions:

1) I had DirectX 7.0 Beta installed before, which may have been the problem.
      2) Try changing the resolution and bit-depth in the setup to match your desktop.

PII 400Mhz, 64Mb pc100, G400 32Mb DH, 40x CD-ROM, USB Zip100, 12GB HD, Diamond MX300, Win98

Comment

I have the same problem. I don't think it's only on high end machines, 'cause I only have a p2-350 w/ 64MB. I have done a complete re-install of win98se. I've tried every res from 1024x768 down to 320x200.

I don't get any errors, it just drops to the desktop.

------------------
        Andrew Gallagher - andrew@agallagher.com
        Asus P2B-S (1010), PII-350 (3.5x100MHz), 64MB PC100, 12.7GB Quantum Fireball EX ATA-33, 2x2.1GB Quantum Atlas I UWSCSI, Toshiba 6201 SCSI CD, Yamaha CRW4416S SCSI CD-RW, WangDAT SCSI, MillG400 32MB DH w/ 5ns RAM(5.13 Divers/1.5 Bios/300MHz SCLK), SBLive! Retail (LiveWare2.1), JVC RX884V Dolby Digital Receiver@500W, Dell 17" (first head), ProScan 27" NTSC TV (second head), Win98SE, BeOS 4.5.1, RedHat 6.0, NT4SP5
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

agallag,

What really pisses me off is that expendable
          was shipped with the card.Of all the games this is the one you would expect to work properly.
          Also,this is one of the games supposed to showcase embm. Didn't anybody test it?

By the way..Have you played drakan? Any problems?

Comment

Nope, dont have drakan.
            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I got expendable to do something differant.
              Now when I hit play it gives me a fatal error message..'the bdf is missing'
              Anyone know what this is?

Comment

This happens to me in some HL mods. Try removing some video setting commands from a config file if there are any. I don't have Expendable so I'm not sure just a guess from HL experiences.
                Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

I cant get expendable to work. I tried W95b and after that, i installed w98 (updating over w95b). Nothing changes ! Ive tried with the old driver (shipped version) an the 5.13 - both with DirectX6.1 - nothing. Sometimes i get a errormessage "Out of memory" (or something else like that) or it just dropped back to the desk after some seconds or i get a screen with an AMD-logo on it and than it crashes back to desk. Ive tried some AGP-Settings (aperture size) with doesnt make any changes to this.

Gigabye 586SG (SIS-Chipset) Bios 1.5, AMD K6II-350(running 366), 128MB-SD, DMM Monster-I, G400MAX, generic PCI-Ethernet card, ISA-SB32. NOTHING SPECIAL ! What is it ?

Comment

Hey Wik !
                    Ever tryed it running your AMD K6II @350 ??

tiqq

Comment

hey wik!
                      which slot is your e-card plugged in to?
                      you might wanna try moving it over
                      jim

------------------
                      p2-350 (o.c'd to 450) 128mb pc-100, Mill. G200 8mb sgram (o.c'd to 210 with MGATweak) PD5.21, win98se, DX6.1, THREE BIG FANS (and three little ones)
                      System 1:
                      AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                      Epox 8K7A
                      2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                      an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                      SBLIVE 5.1
                      Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                      IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                      Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                      3Com Hardware Modem
                      Teac 20/10/40 burner
                      Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Anyone know what the error message 'the bdf
                        is missing' is?

Comment

I get the same error on a PIII/384 Mb-based machine. I am absolutely clueless as to what a "bdf" is.

Any information would be appreciated.

Paul
                          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Just for fun (or otherwise)I ran the Expendable game from the G400 CD--no problemo
                            , saw the vaulted EMBM , everything.
                            In Harm's Way

Comment

It's probably the Aureal soundcard drivers that causes it.

I have the Turtle beach montegoII and in some games if I choose the aureal driver it throws me back to desktop.
                              So I choose Surround or something else and games work for me.

Regards,
                              Elie

Comment

Working...
                              X