Matrox DVD Module, Zoran SoftDVD, Dxr2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox DVD Module, Zoran SoftDVD, Dxr2

This is a long one. But I am hoping that someone may have an idea or shed some light on any misunderstanding I have regarding the Matrox DVD module and the SoftDVD from Zoran.

For several months I was using the Creative Labs Dxr2 card to display DVD video to my TV. The Dxr2 would also play MPEG2 or MPEG1 home videos created with the G200 Marvel and the Ligos encoder. If I wanted to display the MPEG2 home videos on the PC monitor I would use the Cyberlink PowerDVD software (using the passthrough cable with the Dxr2 produced a dark picture on the screen and I have no desire to watch DVD movies on the PC). All was happy in the household.

Not being able to leave anything alone for long, I decided to purchase the Matrox DVD Module. My thinking was why take up a slot and interrupt with the Dxr2 card when I could get the Matrox DVD Module and free the slot and interrupt and enjoy my DVDs on the PC screen and/or TV. And as the description stated the module would also do MPEG2 and MPEG1.

My first indication that I was in trouble came when playing a DVD using the DVD module and the SoftDVD Zoran player. The playback was jerky at times. I put up a CPU monitor and saw the processor usage was running at 85 percent. This isn’t supposed to happen with a hardware module, is it? The Dxr2 card plays DVDs while using only 5 percent of the CPU processor. Is the SoftDVD player from Zoran using the hardware module?

My second indication that all was not well came when I tried to playback my home MPEG2 and MPEG1 files. The Zoran player and the PCVCR Remote will not playback the MPEG2 files created by my Ligos encoder. PowerDVD and the Dxr2 card have no problems with these MPEG2 files. Isn’t the Matrox DVD module suppose to be able to process MPEG2 files?

The Matrox DVD Module was purchased to allow me to play DVDs (with no jerkiness), MPEG2, and MPEG1 files to the TV easily utilizing the BOB. My impression from the Matrox literature was that this would happen. Please help me understand why this isn’t happening.

Jack

Hi,
    Try uninstalling the Creative dvd software (all of it),remove the decoder and see what happens.
    If you overclocked the Marvel, bring it back to normal clock settings.
    Also How is the Creative DVD player hooked up?
    Is it a slave to a drive or a master on it's own (which is what I sugegst)
    I think there's a conflict somewhere which is why your getting the jerky playback.

Also regarding MPEG2 files, what file format are you saving your MPEG2 clips as..?

I'll try it at home and see what I can come up with.

Regards,
    Elie

[This message has been edited by Elie (edited 09-14-1999).]

Comment

Also, make sure you're using the version of SoftDVD that came with the DVD module. The standard G200 SoftDVD is software-only, and doesn't know anything about the hardware. If you'd previously installed the G200 SoftDVD, uninstall it and re-install the version that shipped with the DVD module.

John

Comment

Hi,

Hint:

If you still have DXR2 card, you can connect its TV output to Marvel and watch MPEG2/DVD on PC screen with PC VCR Remote. It works, you can even capture that video. This saves your PC screen quality, but not IRQ.

Sorry I can't help with DVD module.

Grigory

Comment

Thanks for the responses!

Elie… I dedicated a couple of evenings to just driver and interrupt possibilities. That included completely removing the Dxr2 card, software, drivers. Including uninstalling the last non-beta powerdesk driver and video tool combo and reinstalling the powerdesk and video tool drivers which came with the dvd module. During all these tests the CPU processor always indicated an average of around 85 percent utilization when the SoftDVD Zoran player was working, and the DVD video on the PC screen was noticeable jerky in spots. The Ligos encoder I think is set on “Main Profile” and I use a data rate of 4000 bits per second for the MPEG2 stuff.

John… pretty sure I had the SoftDVD which came with the module installed. I remember uninstalling and reinstalling from the CD which came with the DVD module, including the powerdesk, and videotools from the CD. I imply from your message that the SoftDVD from Zoran should be using the DVD hardware module for decoding rather than software decoding.

Grigory.. I have done as you described in the past, outputting the Dxr2 video through the BOB into the PCVCR remote. It does look great.. no jerkiness. But, I prefer to watch DVD movies on the big screen. The Dxr2 also does a great job of decoding the MPEG2 and MPEG1 files, unlike the SoftDVD Zoran player and DVD module, which chokes on both.

Could someone confirm for me that an average 85 percent CPU utilization rate during the SoftDVD Zoran/DVD module playback is normal? If it is then I can retire the DVD module and go with the Dxr2 card and get my PC buttoned up.

Thanks
          Jack

Comment

Hi,

I use Hollywood+ (DXR3 of Creative?) no-name card for mpegs. Yes, it takes a slot and IRQ, but it shares IRQ with Canopus DV Raptor card easily. I tried to use both cards simultaneously, but got no problem under win98.
            So, IRQ saving (may be) not a reason to remove the card. However, it depend on your MB and ... many other things, including the moon phase . I am still using "only" 3 PCI slots for Raptor, BrookTree card, and H+. And I have 2 slots free, but not IRQ's.

Grigory

Comment

Hi Jack,

I have a feeling that the Software is using your CPU and not the DVD-add on card to play DVD's.

So it could be that the module isn't installed properly so the best thing is take it out and install it again.

My CPU utilization hits an average of 10-15%

Regards,
              Elie

Comment

The clue to your problem seems to be this:

You installed the powerdesk, PC VCR, videotools and the softDVD from the same CD-ROM.

This is not the CD-ROM that should be included with the Hardware module. This sounds like the Marvel CD-ROM instead which includes on the SOFTWARE softDVD version.

When installing your Marvel DO NOT INSTALL THE SOFTDVD from the Marvel CD-ROM this will conflict with the special SoftDVD for the hardware module and you'll receive the 89% utilization, the modules not used!

The SoftDVD rom for the Hardware module will not include the Videotools and allows you to setup the Region during its own install. This is the other clue. During the SoftDVD (Hardware version) installation are you prompted for your Region?

Good Luck,

------------------
                Profound Runner
                ---- aka Willie -------
                Profound Runner
                ---- aka Willie -------

Comment

Willie,

I think you are correct! I am pretty sure though that I did use the CD from the DVD module but I could have pulled the wrong CD out of the stack. I do not recall being prompted for the region code. My recollection is and was that the SoftDVD Zoran was not included, initially, with the Marvel that I purchased. But I will certainly go through my stack of CDs more carefully and look to see what I have.

Many thanks. Maybe this will solve the MPEG2 issues as well!

Jack

[This message has been edited by Jack Hearn (edited 09-16-1999).]

Comment

No luck. As I thought the CD which originally came with the Marvel does not have the SoftDVD Zoran player. The CD which came with the DVD module has the player. So obviously I had to have used the CD which came with the DVD module.

So I think I may give this one more shot over the weekend and try to get the DVD module to work without using 85 percent of my CPU, after that it will probably be a Hollywood Plus card to replace the Dxr2 card.

Jack

Comment

Try my recommendation above by reinserting the module itself.

Also uninstall the software and after you reinstall the module... reinstall the player.

Regards,
                      Elie

Comment

Working...
                      X