Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking....

Hello all.
    I'm probably going to be kicked off the board for this but here goes.
    What's the point of overclocking? I mean really, the products purchased ( video card, cpu etc. ) all work as expected when purchased correct? Very many of the post's I have been reading have been about problems with this or that, couldn't get my card to work, I'm having freezes and crap. Also these same people who are having these problems show there system stats and they're overclocking everything they can get their hands on!!! And you don't expect problems?!?
    Sh*t, people are waiting to get a hold of new technology just to see how fast they can push it. ( my blank is faster than your blank etc. ) All I'm saying is that if you f*ck with the bull your probably going to get the horns! ( yeah lame I know ) You can't expect every thing to be a bed of roses just because someone else managed to pull it off ( for how long no one knows ).
    To quote another " Ye reap what ye sow "
    Thanks for the rant time
    Peace.

Hi Prophet,

I don't know if you are a Motor-Head or not(I am, there I said it), but the reason for overclocking is very similar to the reason for hopping up your new ride. You spend an enormous amount of money getting the best of the best, and when you get it, it is only natural to want to see how far things can be pushed. Whether it be your automobile or your computer. We want to get the most out our equipment. I know that I shy away from performance gains if it sacrifices stability, but there are those out there who don't care, they just want it to be as fast as possible (same reason why people buy VooDoo's, while the vis. quality is sub par compared to everything else). I have overclocked every system I have ever had in one way or another, and have always pushed it to the maximum possible without having stability problems. I have never had any side effects from doing this. So the question should be "Hell, if it does it, and there are no problems, WHY THE HELL NOT?, if it suits me." I do agree with you that there are some out there who push it too far, then are the first to complain when things fall apart, then immediately blame some component in their system for being sub-par.

Hell, getting back to cars, I had an '88 Grand Am, that came with a 2.3 4cyl, commonly called a Quad 4. The thing ran fast as hell the way it was, but I still spent a lot of time and money to get it to run FASTER than hell. All said and done, I spent around 3,000 U.S. dollars getting to run this fast, along with the 3,000 I spent on the car itself. People were calling me crazy, that may be, but I ran the piss out the car (literally) for 275,000 miles (And 3 clutches later), and the thing would get 30 MPG on the highway if driven in a decent manner, and would still smoke a 5.0 Mustang. I was amazed I could push so much out of so little, and save a few bucks at the same time.

Rags

------------------
    Some people call me the Space Cowboy.....

Comment

Ok. I understand.
      Now. If I wanted to overclock my system:
      Dual P3 550
      Asus P2B-D (bios 1010)
      384 MB PC 100
      Millennium G200/16MB ( shipping clock speeds ) latest bios and driver.
      What would I do first? How would I go about it? And what would be the benifit? And perhaps most important, what will this do to my system ( damage wise )?

Comment

first disable UDMA in your Asus bios

2nd increase the FSB (try 112MHz first and if it succeeds, increase further)

3rd, get any of the tools to OC your G200 and raise it in 5MHz steps until it hangs, then switch back to previous clock

When you found your peaks, do some intense CPU, FPU & G200 testing for stability over time ... like Q2, Q3 and Unreal slaughters and or several benchmarkings (which you should actually do before start OCing, to have a database to compare the gain.

Have fun !

------------------
        Cheerio,
        Maggi

Asus P2B-S @ 112MHz FSB - Bios 1010 final
        Celeron300A @ 504Mhz
        128MB 7ns SDRAM
        G400 DualHead 32MB SGRAM @ 201 MHz memory clock
        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
        LG BH10LS38
        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Why disable UDMA?
          Pentium3 500Mhz
          192MB Ram
          Matrox Millennium G200(8MB)

Comment

To stop from forcing your hard drives to run at the faster PCI bus speed. Many can't handle 37 or 41 MHz.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
            X