Open GL/ D3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open GL/ D3D

If a video card has both good opengl and d3d drivers, there shouldn´t be any difference - if any, an opengl ICD should be faster, because all the rendering process is done in the ICD, that can (should) be highly optimized for that card, while in D3D some of the processing takes places in the D3d windows routines (DirectX) , that are the same for all the cards.

Unfortunely, this is still not the point with Matrox ICD (D3D tend to be faster), but hopefully they are getting there - hey, Half Life is already faster in OpenGl than D3D with my G200, but then again, they say the D3D HL is only a wrapper in disguise... oh well, with beta ICD´s it was slower... you get the point.

As for image quality, this is only my personal experience, but I think that OGL graphics are more crisp. Half-life, for instance, the textures in D3D seem to be more blurry, over-filtered, the colors not so vibrant.

Open GL/ D3D

Hello.
    Please just assume I know nothing about computers, I know the question sounds stupid.
    I was just wondering, what is the actual difference between OGL and D3D? Visually I mean. I know the backgrounds of the different API's but when playing a game which one is better to use and why? I have used each one before and aside from OGL being a little slower to use ( before 5.15 ) I cant see a real difference in image quality. Perhaps someone could fill in the blanks for me.
    Thanks.
    Dual Pentium III 550
    384 MB pc 100 ram
    Matrox Millennium g200 16mb (awaiting g400max)
    21" monitor
    13 GB 7200 rpm HD
    SB Live full

Comment

not exactly, Nuno ...

OGL is a way different model of API, more complex and way better visual quality.

You cannot expect OGL to be faster than D3D, but when optimized it should be about as fast as D3D.

------------------
      Cheerio,
      Maggi

Asus P2B-S @ 112MHz FSB - Bios 1010 final
      Celeron300A @ 504Mhz
      128MB 7ns SDRAM
      G400 DualHead 32MB SGRAM @ 201 MHz memory clock
      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
      Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
      be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
      4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
      2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
      OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
      4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
      Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
      Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
      LG BH10LS38
      LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Ooops... Thanks Maggi I though it was in that way... at least I got it right in the image quality

Comment

Working...
        X