NFS:HS problems with g400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFS:HS problems with g400

Hi. I've been very happy with my new vanilla G400 32MB DH compared to the 8MB G200 I had installed earlier. Games run a lot smoother. Except Needforspeed:highstakes; for some reason, it seems choppier than with the G200? Any recommendations on G400 / NFS options to get it run properly?

thanks

mikko

Are you using an AMD, perchance? On two machines, so far, we've found it worked fine on a P2 system and had problems on a k6-2 system. I haven't had a chance to try it on my own system (a k6-2) so I can't be more specific about the problem just yet.

------------------
    Wyrmdog
    Grand Argus
    AMD Slave

Comment

I have experienced this too, and posted to this forum about it.

I have a Celeron, so it doesn't look like an AMD problem.

The only things I've found that improve frame rate are to turn off special effects and fog. Even with this it is far from impressive.

Comment

I have experienced this too, and posted to this forum about it.

I have a Celeron, so it doesn't look like an AMD problem.

The only things I've found that improve frame rate are to turn off special effects and fog. Even with this it is far from impressive.

Comment

What you might try is the following:

Uninstall NFS:HS completely (it will leave your saved data if all's well)
          Install PD5.13
          Install DX6.1
          Install NFS:HS
          check in the d3dsetup if it's chosen the right videocard (being the G400)
          If it didn't, check in the registry that on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ELECTRONIC ARTS\3D DATA\CARD6 it shows Group "D3D" and Name "Matrox G400"
          If anything else shows there, change it to Matrox G400.
          Run NFS:HS... still problems?
          Re-install DX6.1 (better even, install DX5.0 first, then DX6.0 then DX6.1... I know that that's a hassle...)

Jorden.
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Yes, the problem seemed to be that NFS registry key had G200 set up as the renderer, which seemed to cause poor performance. After re-installing, it selected "an unknown Direct3D device" for the G400, and the frame rates went way up. Now 1024*768(32z)@32bpp is smooth as silk.

Thank you for your help,

mikko.

Comment

Working...
            X