quake2 and opengl problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quake2 and opengl problem

I am frustrated with this problem of mine. Everytime I try to play quake2 in default opengl mode, my computer blanks out and shows the following blue screen error:

System Error

Memory parity error detected
    System halted.

My system is the following:
    Asus p2b-s motherboard
    Matrox millenium g200
    Pure3dII
    p2-350 o/c to p2-412
    128mb pc100 SDRAM

If anyone can help, that would be GREAT.

Thanks,
    iNK

Hi there

Check if you don´t have a opengl32.dll in your q2 folder. It can be the 3dfx mini-gl. If you select default opengl it still will use the opengl32.dll in the game folder.

Are you able to play the game with your voodoo2?

DO a virus scan with a updated virus scanner. There is a virus lying around that do the same thing as you report.

Do other OGL app´s works? And how about d3d?

You could actually have faulty memory. Could you borrow a dimm from a friend and try?

And last but not the least, try putting you cpu to the default speed, and try again...

Comment

The only gl files in my quake2 folder are 3dfxgl.dll, pvrgl.dll, and ref_gl.dll.

My voodoo2 works fine, its my matrox that I'm worried about.

As for the virus, I'm downloading new virus definitions for norton antivirus right now...

Hmmmm, I'm not sure if other OGL or d3d apps work. Is there a program out there that I'd be able to test these with? I'll try something...

I got my hands on a new dimm and tried that on my system. I still get the same error. Could be a coincidence that they're both faulty?

I tried clocking my cpu back to default but that wouldn't work either. I have tried using older matrox drivers. Instead of getting the blue screen, the screen just blanks out to a grey screen and quake2 no longer responds. I'm thinking that it's probably because I didn't have the d3d wrapper or something. Could it be that my matrox g200 is broke?

Thanks for the reply,
      iNK

Comment

I was initially using version 5.15 drivers, but tried reinstalling the 5.13 version. No difference.

I have noticed that my 3com ethernet card seems to always share the same irq as my matrox g200. How can I separate them? I have tried a number of things but they insist on sharing the same irq. I do have an open irq so I don't know what the cards are doing.

Reinstalling the game doesn't help either...

I also just recently noticed that when I shut down my system... instead of the usual windows shutdown screen and computer shut down, my the screens shows some wierd looking version of the shutdown screen and the computer freezes. I have come to the conclusion that my matrox millenium drivers are conflicting with something. When I set my graphics adapter as standard, I don't get that wierd shutdown screen. But once I set the adapter as matrox g200, the problem once again occurs.

Could this be a faulty video card? I'm about ready to try a new one...

Comment

What driver version are you using?

The most recent are 5.13, and they include a full OpenGL ICD. The certified ones are 4.33 (I think), but they don´t have the ICD.
          Pay attention that you should uninstall your drivers before installing new ones. If you have 4.xx drivers, uninstall powerdesk, remove the g200 entry from system properties, del the .inf file in windows\inf, and del all the mga*.* and g200*.* files. Then reboot, install the default vga driver and then the new drivers.
          To uninstall 5.13 drivers, use the 5.13 uninstaller from matrox, it´ll do all the job.

As for testing d3d/ogl, hmmm, don´t you have any more games? Try them with your g200 and see if they work. If you don´t, a benchmark like 3dmarkmax should test d3d ok, and tirtanium for opengl.

And check if you have busmastering on and if there are no conflicts in your system. See in the bios if there is a IRQ assigned to VGA, if the g200 is not sharing a IRQ with other device. Set your agp aperture size to 128.

And have you tried to reinstall the game?

Comment

Try pulling the video card, and seeing how things go.

-Wombat
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I'd do that, but I don't have another video card handy...

Comment

Hi there

Don´t know for sure, but that IRQ sharing between the 3com ethernet card and the g200 is suspect

Try doing this: If you have the ethernet card in the nearest pci slot to the AGP one, move it to some slot else. Cards in that pci slot and agp cards tend to share a irq in most motherboards. You can put there the V2, it doesn´t need a IRQ.

Comment

After moving my network card and finally being able to keep them from sharing the same irq, stupid problems have not gone anywhere. Thanks for the suggestions though...

Comment

Did you try other games to see if they work at all?

Comment

Sorry iNK,
                      I must have been smoking too much crack during my last post.
                      I meant to say to "try pulling the network card." That would be much more helpful, since things run w/o one of those. Video is much more of a must-have type thing.

-Wombat

------------------
                      503+ rev 1.2a, 128MB PC100 RAM, K6-2/350@400,RH6 & Win98,G200 Millenium (SGRAM), no plans to buy a G400

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Hey iNK dude, I have the same problem, the damn exact same stupid problem. I wish, I really wish I could help you out but at least your not alone with this problem. I know it's not the card that's at fault because OPenGL ICD works fine on a Asus P5A-B board, but not on a Asus P2-99, hmmmm.

If only there was a disk out there that you could pop in your 'puter and badda bing badda boum things were magically fixed, I would buy it!

Hey, maybe it has something to do with Celeron processor's, what CPU do you have? I have a Celeron 366MHz and mine is NOT overclocked, hmmmm.....
                        Titanium is the new bling!
                        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Hehe, oops, I just realised what CPU you had.

I would give you a decent suggestion but I have tried everything (almost) myself without any success.
                          Titanium is the new bling!
                          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

do you have an add-onn memory chip on your vid card as there are some bad aftermarket ones out there
                            jim

------------------
                            P2-350 o/c 450, BH-6 mobo,128mb pc-100,Mill. G-200 8mb o/c to 215 with g200clk, win98,dx6.1,PD5.13, bios 2.3
                            THREE BIG FANS (and three little ones)

System 1:
                            AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                            Epox 8K7A
                            2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                            an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                            SBLIVE 5.1
                            Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                            IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                            Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                            3Com Hardware Modem
                            Teac 20/10/40 burner
                            Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

doh!
                              jim

[This message has been edited by DuRaNgO (edited 08-13-1999).]
                              System 1:
                              AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                              Epox 8K7A
                              2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                              an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                              SBLIVE 5.1
                              Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                              IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                              Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                              3Com Hardware Modem
                              Teac 20/10/40 burner
                              Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Working...
                              X