Quake 2 video settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 2 video settings

Ok, I just re-installed Quake 2 on my rig and when I fired it up for the first time, I went in and adjusted all my video settings like as usual. I set to use the game to use the default OpenGL driver @ 800x600 in fullscreen mode. However, when I exit the game and then restart, the settings don't stick. It comes up in 320x240, windowed mode. I thought it might have been a botched install, so I removed the game, then uninstalled PDesk 5.13 using the uninstaller. I reinstalled PowerDesk, then re-installed the game and the video settings still don't stick... Anyone have any ideas as to what the heck is going on? Just for posterity, I went in to the baseq2 directory and deleted the config.cfg file so the game would have to generate a new one from scratch, but still no dice. Every other game I have works great with PDesk 5.13, so I don't think it's my setup. My Millenium 16MB has the latest bios also... Any help would greatly appreciated...

Cheers!

------------------
    The Silicon Prophet
    (aka Manex)

ABIT BH-6, Celeron 300A @ 450 MHz, 128MB RAM, Millenium G200 16MB, IBM Deskstar 10GXP, SB LIVE!, Adaptec AHA-2940UW, Plextor 32X CDROM, Plextor 4X/12X CD-R, 3COM Etherlink XL PCI, IOMEGA ZIP 100 SCSI, Motorola Cybersurfr Wave cable modem

[This message has been edited by Silicon Prophet (edited 08-01-99).]

Nuno, thanks for the advice... I tried editing the config file manually and then making it read only, but that didn't work. It's almost as if the game isn't even reading it. I patched it to 3.20, and reinstalled Direct-X ( I know it's OpenGL. but with Microsoft stuff you never can tell...), but that didn't fix it. What I ended up doing was putting all my config stuff and bindings in the autoexec.cfg file. That did the trick. It still bothers me that I can't use the the config.cfg for anything though. Oh well, at least I can play now. Man, that new ICD really rocks in Q2... I went from 17 FPS in Crusher to 26.1, and on Massive1, I went from 22 FPS to 33. Now I can play in style in 800x600. Need to get a G400 though. I'll wait till the price comes down some in a month or two... Thanks again for your help.

------------------
    The Silicon Prophet
    (aka Manex)

ABIT BH-6, Celeron 300A @ 450 MHz, 128MB RAM, Millenium G200 16MB, IBM Deskstar 10GXP, SB LIVE!, Adaptec AHA-2940UW, Plextor 32X CDROM, Plextor 4X/12X CD-R, 3COM Etherlink XL PCI, IOMEGA ZIP 100 SCSI, Motorola Cybersurfr Wave cable modem

[This message has been edited by Silicon Prophet (edited 08-02-99).]

Comment

Hi there

I also had the same problem with the original version that is installed from the cd. When I patched it to 3.20 that problem was gone...

But you still have one way to go: if that doesn´t work, just manually edit the config file and make it a read only file. That was how I fixed the problem before I had the 3.20 patch.

Comment

I'm having a similar problem with Q-2. with me it's not my video settings, but my control settings don't stick. Any suggestions would be welcomed.......thanx, Larry

Comment

Larryr, I have problems with some of my control settings sticking as well, but that was a secondary concern for me... I haven't identified the root cause of the problem yet, but as a quick fix, you can do what I did and copy all your key bindings etc. into your autoexec.cfg file. You have to edit this file manually (it won't autoupdate, I think) but at least the settings will come up right. I still think my PC is having problems reading the file from disk. I can't explain it. If I figure it out, I'll post the fix here ASAP.

Cheers!

------------------
          The Silicon Prophet
          (aka Manex)

Comment

I have this issue now also. Voodoo2 SLI works normally, but the G400 will not stick resolution changes, will not go full screen, and looks distorted.

Comment

Fatebender,
              What resolution are you running your desktop at? If it's not 16, or 32-bpp, that will cause a problem.

-Wombat

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Greets Wombat,

I run my desktop at 32-bpp and switch back to 16=bpp. I reinstalled and tried switching first from compatibility mode. Quake2 running at 1280x1024, but was unable to go full screen. Still reinstalling games, so I will get back to it. Thanks for replying.

ABIT BE6,P450 OC to 600 MHz, 256K RAM, Matrox G400 Dual 32 MB, WD 18 GIG ATA66, IBM Deskstar 14GXP, SB LIVE, Kenwood 52X TrueSpeed, HP 8100 CD-Writer, 3Com Etherlink XL PCI, Lan City Cable Modem, Entrega 7 port USB Hub, Sony GDM F-500, Epson 900, Microsoft Phone

Comment

Q2 doesn't have an option for 1280x1024. It has 1280x960.

In 5.15 and lower, 1280x960 won't go full screen. That bug has been fixed in the 5.20 betas, and it will go fullscreen at that res now...

Comment

Thanks once again Kruzin. Meant 1280x960 obviously. That is what I get for being SLI limited. It looks prettier at 1600x1200 anyways.

Comment

Working...
                    X